Tuesday, October 13, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 212

So HWSNBN did a rally in Sanford, Florida last evening. He told the crowd that he felt "powerful" and was not contagious. He felt well enough he said, to head into the crowd and "kiss the guys and the beautiful women." I would never be in the crowd at a Trump rally, but if caught in that sort of situation would do my utmost to look as ugly as possible. As Air Force One was taking off on the way to Florida, HWSNBN's doctor released a statement that HWSNBN had tested negative on two tests a day apart. Never mind that they were supposedly rapid tests, the ones with an unusually high rate of false negatives. 

I think HWSNBN is heading to a different state each night this week. Pennsylvania, Iowa, and North Carolina are on his list so far. His staff is evidently not happy about his schedule fearing it might overtax him. He wants to prove, I am sure, that he is younger than Joe Biden in real age as well as energy and alertness. It would be too bad if he wore himself out and again became symptomatic. I know his doctor says that he is over covid-19, but that guy has seemed squirrely from Day One. 

The Senate Judiciary Committee is in the second day of interviewing Amy Coney Barrett. An interesting point I saw in an essay was that Ruth Bader Ginsburg's last request was not that she be replaced by another woman but that her replacement be nominated by the president inaugurated in January 2021. I wonder what Ginsburg would think of Barrett. Actually, might they have known each other professionally? I wonder.

A friend posted on Facebook an article excerpt covering Barrett's life and career but as if she were a Muslim, not a Catholic. Would she even have been considered for the job? The author held that she would not. I would hold that it would have been hard for a Muslim woman to get an academic position equal to the one Barrett has. I expect the doors that were opened for Barrett would have been shut tightly against a Muslim woman of similar biographical elements. 

I have decided to embrace the idea of setting very finite tasks for each day of unpacking and putting away. Stress reduction at it finest. I rewarded myself this afternoon with a bit of practice with the needle-felting machine that has yet to be named. My sewing machine is Xena the Warrior Bernina. I wonder what name would be appropriate for a Janome needle-felting machine.

Today's tasks were to peruse the boxes in younger son's bedroom. The ones I could safely get to were his stuff, not ours, so they stayed put. I also took the pins, bracelets, and necklaces I separated yesterday and did a first pass of keep, donate/gift, or toss. I will do this a second time tomorrow and possibly a third time the next day. Don't ask me when I'll get to the earrings.

I just emailed the three families in the subdivision who have kids of trick-or-treating age. The CDC has defined trick or treating as a high risk activity, and I know some localities have banned it and some parents have forbidden it. I want the neighbors to know that if they want their kids to do some safe trick or treating, I am quite willing to put a bowl of treats on my porch from which they can choose. I don't want, though, to get candy and then have no one come. Older son does not eat candy, and the husband would not consume it fast enough to rescue me from eating too much of it myself. 


1 comment:

Janet said...

Re: Barrett -- she was on a lower court, and I've read she never argued a case before the Supreme Court which to me is enough to disqualify her, so I doubt Ginsburg ever met her.

Re: Halloween -- when we lived in NY we were on a rural road. The first few years the kids from down the street visited, but that didn't last ling. When they had their own kids I bought candy again, just in case, but we didn't have a close relationship with the parents, so no visits, Good for you being proactive and asking.