Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 206

The unpacking and organizing continues. While I have not yet found my kindle, I did find two souvenirs from Viet Nam that might come in handy now. Walking around a downtown, virtually every Vietnamese woman you see will be wearing a mask. Some masks cover more than others. On our second trip there, we inquired as to the reasoning. We were actually thinking it might have something to do with air pollution, though that did not explain why we saw no men wearing masks. Remember the days when people here, especially women, basked in the sun or visited a salon to get their skin tan? We were told that in Vietnam, women want to keep their skin as untanned as possible. Hence, they wear masks when out in the sun. We purchased a couple, which I found this afternoon. As I said, some masks

cover more than others.

I of course had to see how these might work as the pandemic masks we wear today. I was told that one test of a mask's permeability is can you blow a match out exhaling through the mask. With the lower, smaller mask, the match flame flickered, but I could not extinguish it. With the upper, larger mask, I could not even get the flame to flicker. I guess I now have two more masks to put in the basket I keep near the door.

HWSNBN on steroids scares me even more than HWSNBN not on steroids. It worries me that there is not "real" discussion of invoking the 25th amendment. The man has the nuclear codes, and while I doubt he would try to start something against his good buddy Vlad, might he start something against China. Repay China for the coronavirus with a nuke perhaps? He might also order his friend Bill at Justice to arrest Hunter and Joe Biden on a trumped-up treason charge. He might do almost anything. 

The Washington Post ran an article this morning comparing Boris Johnson and HWSNBN in terms of their respective bouts with covid-19. The headline "Johnson, Trump: A study in contrasts" pretty much sums up the gist of the article. It seems that Johnson ("call me Boris") was treated as a regular patient despite having a large medical team tending to him. He had two intensive care doctors named Nick and paid tribute to them by giving his newborn son the middle name Nicholas. He specifically praised two nurses who stayed by his bed the two days he received supplemental oxygen. I would guess that HWSNBN couldn't tell you the name of anyone other than, possibly, his principal doctor. Johnson also spent some time convalescing after leaving the hospital; he did not go back to work the day he left, or even the day after that. Different strokes for different folks.

Dr. Fauci now says that it may well be the end of 2021 before enough doses to vaccine have been given to help us return to something resembling the old normal. And the US death total may very well double to 400,000 before then. The University of Washington says that deaths could total 300,000 by December 1, 2020. I wonder how long my hair will be in 14 more months. At least the growing-out bangs will be out of my eyes well before then. And I will be even more spoiled by then in terms of having someone else (older son) obtain groceries for me. For one, he selects much healthier food than I would left to my own devices. And he picks out wine the same way I do--how expensive is it, and what is on the label? I've given a couple of labels back to him and was unable to get a few off the bottles, but I should make a collage of all the ones I've been able to remove and keep. I daresay it would be interesting. 

Note to self: Think about in whatever other boxes your kindle could be hiding.


1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I am still cutting my own hair, it turns out that a pixie cut is surprisinly easy to maintain. If I do it myself I cut it every month or so rather than every two months at the stylist. I won't be going back until there's widespead vaccination, however long that takes.

Are you seeing any reduction in the boxes or is it an endless task?