Sunday, September 18, 2022

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 416 (916)

We're averaging about 70,000 new cases of covid daily. Still, early numbers show the response to the bivalent booster as "methodical but muted." While 68 percent of Americans are "fully vaccinated" with the original shots, only a third have gotten any booster. People appear to be taking something of a lackadaisical attitude toward the new booster. One woman declining the booster said life left her no time for it. "I know covid is coming back around, but I don't think its necessary. I'm fine." Said another woman, "I think we've plateaued. It's no biggie anymore." Amid news of covid disappearing some people say they had not heard about a new booster. Unlike earlier shots or boosters, locating and scheduling the new booster is essentially every person for themselves. Some of the locating and scheduling can only be done over the internet, meaning that people with no cellphone or internet can't do it. Vaccination sites are few and far between. In New York City, there are eight mobile vaccination sites out in the field. In July, 2021, there were 70. 

I'm feeling quite recovered today but am making sure not to overdo things. The difference in how I felt Saturday versus Friday was striking. It was as if covid flew away. At the same time, covid seemed to come on like a light switch two weeks ago. I tested negative in the morning but in mid-afternoon felt as if a bad cold had come on in 15 or 20 minutes. The test I took at that point was positive. I have never had a cold come on all at once. Usually, it builds over the course of a couple of days. I've heard that some other people also had an almost instantaneous onset. Fascinating. 

And I'm still testing positive meaning I'm still wearing a mask in the presence of other people. A friend told me that her sister and brother-in-law tested positive for two months. I am not going to keep testing myself daily, but I'm interested in just how long this is going to go on. One more week? Two? At this point, anyone's guess is as good as mine. 

No comments: