Monday, September 21, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 190

The local university continues to hold its own in the covid-19 battle. There were 29 new cases in the athletics department, but the number of cases from the first-year dorms affected is much lower ... so far. What I wonder is what is the number of off-campus cases? Those kids are very likely coming onto campus and interacting with the resident students there, spreading the virus even further. I do not envy the decisions the powers that be have to make these days. 

HWSNBN says he will announce his nominee to replace Ruth Bader Ginsberg on the Supreme Court Friday or Saturday of this week. Two Republican senators have said that they think the winner of the November election should be the one to make the nomination. Without two more Republicans willing to buck the President and the party, HWSNBN will put a third justice on the court, meaning (among other things) that women may lose the right to make the choice when it comes to their own bodies. Some pundits have put forward that if the Senate goes Democratic in November, there should be a move to put two more justices on the court. The Constitution does not specify a size for the court, only that there be a court with member nominated by the president and approved by the Senate.

I did get things in place yesterday so that we could move back into the master bedroom last night. The husband says he slept like a log. Unfortunately, I did not. I'm hoping it was the first-night-in-a-new-bed syndrome and that tonight my body feels at home and lets me sleep more soundly. In terms of unpacking, I am now wrestling with the fact that I wanted the main floor less crowded with furniture, which means that I must find new places for the things that were sitting in places that are no longer there. I don't want to just stick them in the basement; I'd like for them to look as if they belong wherever they end up being put.

I've also been sorting through a large box of knitting and crocheting patterns. There are duplicates of some and others I can't believe I ever thought I would make. Then there are the oddities such as the Chicken Sweater. It looks more like a sweater vest than a sweater, but I guess wings aren't the best foundation for sleeves. I do know someone with chickens and am sorely tempted to try to make one for her. Fortunately or not, I have too many other things to think about doing right now.

The first day of fall is tomorrow, and the weather is welcoming it with lower temperatures and crisper air. The leaves on the trees are still green, but plenty of leaves have fallen to the ground. The husband and I have been taking the family dog for a pre-dinner walk, and today I actually was thinking that I should have worn a light jacket. And this morning I wore long pants and sleeves for my morning walk. I started with a sweatshirt over a long-sleeved t-shirt but took the sweatshirt off about halfway through the seven miles I did. Older son was running and he shed his long pants for the shorts he had on underneath. I may do that tomorrow morning, but since I'm walking and not running I can see not warming up enough to want shorts. 

Spring started this year on March 19, meaning that I've now spent two full seasons--spring and summer--hermitting. So many ways to mark the passing of time.

 

 


 

 


No comments: