Friday, September 18, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 187

Early voting started today here in Virginia. There were long lines at some of the offices in Northern Virginia; I expect the local news tonight will have a report on how things went here. Our absentee ballots should arrive tomorrow or Monday. Then, the husband, older son, and I will sit around a table and vote, with one person acting as witness for another. Rather than putting them in the mail, older son will use the drop box at the city registrar's office, and the husband and I will use the one at the county registrar's office. Then we sit back to wait. I may be able to tell how things went when the husband comes home from working his shift as an official. Was it close, or a landslide in one direction or the other? His face will tell me. At least Virginia doesn't wait until Election Day or later to begin to count absentee ballots.

Another White House ex-staffer, a former aide to the Vice President, has come out as planning to vote for Joe Biden. Her tales of HWSNBN's words and deeds throughout the pandemic are damning indeed. I can understand his concern for the economy; that's definitely seen better days. But his reelection should never have entered the picture of how to handle a global pandemic. Yet there were days when the coronavirus task force had to sit and listen to his diatribes on anything but the pandemic itself. Now, whether HWSNBN's base is going to believe any of that I do not know. When it comes right down to it, though, I just hope people turn out to vote. Another official and I used to thank people for coming in to vote and telling them they had earned the right to complain about the results.

 A Stephen Colbert tweet has much food for thought: The news can be depressing these days, so take a mental wellness break from reading about how the president sexually assaulted someone to read about how he tried to use a heat ray against his own citizens. This is appalling. Dispersing the protesters with no warning, before the posted curfew time, was bad enough, but if he'd used a heat ray to do so? I like to think that that would have crossed some line and made more people question his fitness to serve. I know. If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

On the more immediate home front, unpacking the household continues. This has its ups and downs. For example, I had no idea how many effing t-shirts I have. I have put a few in the donation box, but it's hard to get rid of a shirt from one of the bigger things in my life such as GORUCK, SEAL Team Physical Training, or Myo Sim karate and kendo. Then there are the race t-shirts. I have very few compared to some people, but it's still hard. It's easier if they're too small or large for frequent wearing. I got rid of two shirts from the same race (the Montalto Challenge) because a third one fit more comfortably. I have more to go through tomorrow, so I hope there will be more than a few more headed for the donation box. And re-reading this paragraph reminds me that there were some shirts I did not try on and which might be tighter than I like. That would make getting rid of them easier. And since I just thought of it, I should go up and do it before the thought flits its way out of mind.


No comments: