Tuesday, September 8, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 177

Today's Washington Post contained the winners in the photo contest the Travel section holds every year. I've never entered, but the sons have. Older son won an honorable mention in 2009 with his shot of a woman at the Alhambra. Seeing the photos, several of which including the winner were taken with phone cameras, made me wonder when we might feel safe traveling again. I'd love to go back to Australia and visit my quilting friends there; the husband would love to go to Australia to dive the Great Barrier Reef. But 15 hours in a plane from the west coast of the US to the east coast of Australia is more than I want to think about now. Not to mention that Australia would not allow us to enter right now and probably for the foreseeable future.

The husband and I have taken a quick winter jaunt to Iceland three times in search of the aurora. That's the main activity of the trip, though we've also ridden Icelandic horses, toured a lava tube cave, and visited the Blue Lagoon. (Note: Once was enough on the Blue Lagoon.) We've never gone on any of the scenic day trips or even the experiential ones such as riding snow mobiles. We enjoy walking around Reykjavik, especially if it is snowing or has snowed. Needless to say, we won't be doing that this winter. Maybe it will at least snow here. 

I am not sure when I will feel comfortable getting on a plane even for a relatively short flight. Notice that I did say "when." Using "if" would have been too negative. We will get through this. I am also not sure when I will feel comfortable going to a restaurant, especially if it were to be indoor dining. I think that our last indoor meal out was February 28, for our 35th wedding anniversary (the anniversary proper was on the 23rd, but I was at a quilting retreat then). I don't think we've had take-out since before then. There's a certain pizza place I miss ordering from, but I read a review that implied they were not taking great care with masks and related mitigation measures. 

I do not feel comfortable going to a gym or fitness club yet. I'm not sure when I might feel comfortable doing that. I'm fine with walking not to mention spoiled in not having to pack a gym bag with clothes and toiletries and the worry I might have forgotten something. 

This post was so memorable that when the phone rang with a call about a homeowners' association matter that required I look for several things in the recesses of the county's website after which it was time to start making dinner, I did not remember I had even been writing. I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll give morning writing a try. Or not.


 


No comments: