Tuesday, September 1, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 170

One of my birthday presents has been a running joke for a few weeks. Older son ordered it around the time of my birthday and kept telling me it was coming. Then he was telling me it had shipped. Then he would tell me whatever tracking info he had received the day before. Then he told me it was at least in town. Then he told me it turned out to have been a fraud, and he was getting his credit card refunded and looking for another of the same thing. Then that thing had shipped and was being tracked. He kept insisting that this was not a joke present but a "real" one. This morning, he showed up with a large box with eBay tape all around. I did not think to ask if he had gotten it on eBay; I will have to remember to do that. Inside the box was 

It's a Janome (duh, they can see that, Jean) needle felting machine also called an embellisher. I've done needle felting by hand for some time, but this will expand the horizons. A friend has one, and I've admired the things she posted as having been done all or in part on her embellisher. I had mentioned wishing I could try one; I may even have had it on my Amazon.com wish list for a while. I did not expect to actually get one.

I played around with it a little this afternoon and could have spent a lot more time. I wanted to write this post, though, and work a bit on book-sorting so as not to feel guilty about totally ignoring putting the house back together. I'll have plenty of chances to play with it during the coming days. Here's what  I made today:

Being so used to a sewing machine, I kept reaching to move the nonexistent presser foot up or down. I had to get used to moving the fabric around underneath the needle. I don't really do free-motion machine quilting, or that would have been more familiar. I love a learning curve on a new toy!

The governor did a briefing this afternoon. I missed the first 20 minutes which was when he talked about the covid-19 data. When I tuned in, the discussion was all about making sure people had filled out their census forms. I did learn a bit during the part of the Q&A that I listened to. There will be no changes--relaxing or not--to the reopening phases before Labor Day. I got the impression from one question that loosening the restrictions was under consideration. I hope they don't do that because the number of new cases each day is higher than it was when they started the process of reopening. The governor did remind people that there had been upward bumps in the new cases numbers after Memorial Day and July 4 weekends. He said he didn't want to see similar increases after the Labor Day weekend. It doesn't matter what he wants or doesn't want; there will be increases.

It seems that HWSNBN has an advisor pushing ending any remaining covid-19 mitigation measures and waiting for herd immunity to appear. Sweden did this, and it hasn't really ended well. It's not clear what level of immunity would be needed to reach herd immunity, nor is it clear how many lives would be lost along the way. Some White House types have referred to this advisor as the anti-Fauci, which is not what we need right now. 

And HWSNBN is in Kenosha, Wisconsin this afternoon after having been officially asked by the governor not to come. I'll see what the news has to say about it tonight. No notifications have come via my phone, so I'm assuming nothing untoward has happened yet. I did see that HWSNBN attacked the press while on his way to Wisconsin, but what else is new? And now, lest I slip into writing, which means thinking, about the looming election, I will move on to sorting books.




2 comments:

Caroline M said...

The first Covid U turn we had was over herd immunity and the figure bandied about was 60%. Now I wouldn't trust my government to tell me the direction of tonight's sunset so who knows how reliable that figure is but it's the one that comes up in the context of vaccination, how much of the population needs to take up a vaccine for the rest to be protected. The last antibody sample I saw here was for the end of July (so we are due another) and at that time the average in the 20,000 sample with previous infection was 7%, 10% in London.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/uk-biobank-covid-19-seroprevalence-study-round-1-results

Ebay would be my first source for an embellisher, I imagine they are bought on a whim, gather dust and then move along. I've looked at them in the past for adding detail to fulled woolen bags but decided that for me it didn't meet the space to utility ratio.

Debi said...

Enjoy your new toy! I cannot wait to see the incredible things you'll create with this new weapon in your arsenal!