Sunday, September 13, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 182

Twenty-six weeks, six months, half of one year. My hair is six months longer and a wee bit darker without the trims and highlights. My body is 15 pounds lighter, though that's not directly coronavirus-related. My mood is probably more variable than it was before the life shut-down. The number of days on which the lows seem lower probably outnumber the days on which the highs seem higher. I expect that part of that is the general disarray that accompanied all the work we've had done on the house this year. It's going to be a while longer before I feel as if there's not something major still to be put into place.

Speaking of the house's still being re-assembled, I promised photos of the new rugs. We've only put the one in the living room down so far. It needs to sit until tomorrow before we put down the adhesive squares that will hold the rug tiles together. The faint lines you see here will disappear once we've done that and it's all relaxed a bit.

Once this rug is finished and the one in the dining area is down, I can start thinking about curtains in some light neutral shade. Given the 35-year-old sofas, our house will never resemble anything staged. I think of what our house looks like as immediate-post-graduate-school chic. I don't think we'll ever have what looks like an for-real-adult house. 

We took the usual Sunday morning walk in the park. This week's walk along the river was punctuated by older son's turning around and telling me to stop and back up. He knows my almost-phobia of snakes, and there was a snake lying at the side of the trail. It was not clear what kind it was, and I did not want to look closely enough to find out. I backed up and went around some bushes to go around the snake's snoozing spot. Older son noted that this was the first snake we had encountered, and we've been going there almost weekly in the last ... yes ... six months. I'd be okay with not running into another one for another six months. 

The Western fires continue seemingly unabated though some are at least partially controlled now. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be there. One of the news shows noted that atmospheric effects had been noted as far away as Ohio. I'm waiting for smoke-polluted air coast to coast, not that climate change's being a major contributor will register at all with HWSNBN. He is supposed to visit the fire zone tomorrow, and I almost dread seeing and hearing how his visit goes. In reshelving books, I came across the storybook that Stephen Colbert's staff put together in the wake of Hurricane Florence, Whose Boat Is This Boat?: Comments That Don't Help in the Aftermath of a Hurricane. Maybe the sequel can be whatever he says about the fire. Speaking of hurricanes, Sally is aiming right at Louisiana. Do they really need another cyclonic visitor?

I'm making another one of my found-during-the-pandemic recipes for dinner tonight, Fresh Corn and Tomato Fettuccine. You can find the recipe here. I need to try it using canned or frozen corn since I'm not sure how much longer the corn on the cob will be usable. I've lost track of how many times I've made this one since I found it several months ago.

New university covid-19 numbers tomorrow. Will we start seeing the effect of Labor Day gatherings?

No comments: