Monday, August 31, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 169

Thirty-nine days and forty nights to go, and we'll regret not building an ark. It has been raining solidly all day, including when I walked six miles this morning. It actually felt nice then. When I worked out outside with SEAL Team Physical Training, I used to love rainy workouts. I never did understand why attendance always seemed to be down on those days. I felt the same way about snowy or bitterly cold days. Attendance was down on those days as well.

Needless to say, an assortment of rain songs constituted my train of thought for a good bit of the walk. "Rainy Days and Mondays," though I am not at all sure why that one popped up. NOT. "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head," "Who'll Stop the Rain," "I Wish It Would Rain," "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain," "Rainy Night in Georgia," "It Never Rains in Southern California." There's also the wider- reaching "Stormy Weather." 

Book sorting continues. I have amassed a too-high stack of books I'd like to read. However, I am also boxing up books for each son, either books they left behind or books I think they'd really like. We took down a couple of small bookshelves that we likely will not put back up, meaning some books will need to go somewhere. 

The restoring the house goal of the week is to get rugs chosen for the living room and dining room. I don't want to order curtains until the rugs are in. We had a couple of accent walls put in when the house was repainted. The  rug we had in the living room would go okay with the accent wall there, but it's somewhat worn. The rug under the dining table does not coordinate with the accent wall there, to it's gotta go. We had dark blue or maroon curtains up before, but I want to go more neutral this time.

Just over 100 new covid-19 cases were reported in the regional health district since Friday. Ninety of those were in the local city or county, probably fueled by the students living off-campus trickling back. Students are supposed to submit results of a covid-19 test before setting foot on campus. So far, 17,090 results of pre-arrival tests have been submitted, of which only 51 were positive. That's a good sign, though most of those students were likely living at home over the summer and more apt not to go out for a good time than they will once they are here. I can always hope, though.

The Kentucky Derby will be run next weekend but without spectators. There was an article in The Washington Post today about a man who has attended every Derby since 1947, when he was nine years old. I read the article hoping that whoever decides such things could let him in. If they did that, though, I'm sure any number of other people would plead extenuating circumstances. Televised sports look very different with no gallery lining the fairways or surrounding the greens or sitting in the stands behind one team or the other. Evidently in basketball, the lack of a crowd drastically affects the acoustics of players commenting positively or not or hands or arms being slapped on fouls. There will probably be less of an effect for something such as golf or the US Open tennis tournament that started today. In both tennis and golf, the crowd/gallery is expected to watch quietly at certain times; that should lessen the effect of no crowds in those sports.

And I just received a text from the assisted living facility in which my mom lives. All the covid-19 tests done last Wednesday came back negative. They will do another round of testing this upcoming Wednesday. If all those come back negative, they may be able to let residents eat together at least in small groups with social distancing or enjoy some small group activities. And those would be good things.


No comments: