Saturday, June 20, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 97

I just corrected yesterday's post. There were not two Day 95s in a row here. This time of week, though, I have to stop and think what day of the week it is.

I stepped out of the Hermitage today to head down Interstate 64 to Zion Crossroads to see younger son, masked, at a social distance, with a vehicle door between us. He'd come to town to pick up a VW Beetle he had bought and wanted the chance to see us just for a bit and to give his father a Father's Day present. It was great to see him but hard in not being able to hug him or even see the face behind the mask. He had a cute mask, mind you, but it was not as cute as his face would have been.

The number of new covid-19 cases in Virginia went up again yesterday, by about 100. We're nowhere near as bad as many other states, but the slow but steady increase in small increments may be easy to overlook or, worse, dismiss. Weekend counts are always a bit wonky, but if they continue upward, we may be heading for trouble.

At least we're nowhere near Oklahoma or Arizona where the next HWSNBN rally will likely be. I don't think we need to worry about him coming here in the near future. I don't think the state government would bend crowd size limits for him. Nor do I think they'd bend them for the presumptive Democratic candidate, Joe Biden. I love "presumptive" candidate. I can't help but think "presumptuous," though that would not be true in this case.

I just saw a news notification that six members of HWSNBN's campaign in Tulsa have tested positive for covid-19. It's probably good that they caught it before those people might have circulated through the crowd or mingled with bigwigs. The people who attend the rally will have more than enough chances to be exposed.

2 comments:

cbott said...

I delivered a box of stuff to my eldest son this afternoon. At this point I no longer care--I requested and received a long, tight hug (faces averted). Worth every.fucking.second.

Janet said...

We went to visit the folks in NJ yesterday! First time out of our state since March. It was a good day for sitting in the shade in the driveway outside. We took food to share, chairs were well spaced, and all but the baby had a mask for initial hugs. When I was close to the grands I made sure to have mine on.

Masked hugs with faces averted were delightful and we had extra ones before we left, with a promise to redo this in a few weeks. It was SOOOO good to be with them again.