Wednesday, June 3, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 80

In breaking news, they've charged the other three officers in the George Floyd case and upped the charges against the officer who kept his knee on Mr. Floyd's neck. The district attorney, however, says that getting convictions will not be easy. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? How bad will the demonstrations be if some or all of the officers are acquitted? If so, federal charges on violating Mr. Floyd's civil rights might be possible; I don't know the specifics of the law.

On the coronavirus front, Dr. Fauci says that we might have 100 million doses of a vaccine ready by the end of the year. Interestingly, a Washington Post-ABC News poll found that 7 in 10 Americans say they would get it if immunizations were free. Turning that around, 3 in 10 say they would not get it. Of that group, 14 percent cited "Don't trust vaccines in general" as the reason why they would not seek out the vaccine. I'd take the vaccine. Shoot, I'd take it even if I had to pay for it. I paid $90some this spring for a typhoid vaccine I ended up not needing since our trip was cancelled. It's good for five years, though, and there may be other trips in that time.

Never having talked with anyone who eschews vaccines, I wonder sometimes why they would not get them. I can somewhat understand the situation with Christian Scientists; it's part of their religion. Are the others conspiracy theorists who see the vaccines as government attempts to tag people? Infect people with a very delayed action something? Vaccines come from science, and science is bad? My dad was a biology teacher, so "science" was never a dirty word in my world. Weighing the consequences of covid-19, measles, pneumonia, etc., I'd rather be vaccinated than come down with whatever the vaccine will protect me from.

The governor gives another virus briefing tomorrow. I've gotten in the habit of watching them even if they sometimes raise my high-to-begin-with blood pressure. I can always be doing something as I listen; the graphics they have are often hard to see anyway. I'm interested in seeing how the gym to which we belong plans to restrict clients on the premises to 30 percent of occupancy, not that I plan to go back to working out there in the near future. The Nordic Track ski machine at the Hermitage is doing just fine. I do occasionally miss working with the trainer I was seeing, but under the state's Phase Two guidelines, a trainer has to stay 10 feet away from a client. I am not bench pressing any amount of weight without the trainer spotting for me.

Day 80. Did I hear an "are we there yet?" from the back seat?


2 comments:

cbott said...

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking? How bad will the demonstrations be if some or all of the officers are acquitted?"

Or another scenario that haunts me--they're found guilty, then pardoned by TIFI!

Janet said...

Guilty and pardoned? Ugh.

They've already been fired, and one would hope they would no longer be eligible for any policing type of job, but I wouldn't put it past some prisons to hire them.

As for vaccines, when some high profile "health" expert convinced her viewers/followers that vaccines caused autism a number of years ago, no amount of arguing and science could convince them otherwise. I'll get a vaccine when it's ready, as I've done for all previously recommended vaccines. And I'll try to convince G too (as well as others he needs to catch up on).