Saturday, June 13, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 90

I think I wrote a few days (weeks? time runs together) saying I didn't really feel like traveling. That lasted until I got the 2021catalog from Odysseys Unlimited. They've dropped Turkmenistan from their Silk Road trip and beefed up the locations visited in Kazakhstan. What really caught my eye, though, was a new tour that also touched on the Silk Road. "Exploring the Caucasus" visits Georgia and Armenia with an optional add-on trip to Azerbaijan. They have late May 2021 departure dates that would fit with the husband's academic schedule. We have no intention of booking this in the near future. It might be one we save for 2022 or 2023, if it takes a while to develop a coronavirus vaccine.

I've been satisfying my travel desires by watching a course developed jointly by National Geographic and The Great Courses, Polar Explorations. I've had a "thing" for polar regions for some time. I can't remember when I first read about Shackleton's Endurance expedition, but it was many years ago. The husband finds my polar fascination intriguing since in real life I tend to prefer hot days to cooler ones. We joke that my optimal temperature is 85 degrees Fahrenheit while his is 65.

I checked the state's coronavirus metrics this morning. The seven-day moving average of new cases is still going down, but the raw numbers have been going up for about four days now. The seven-day average of percent of tests that are positive is also going down, but they're testing nowhere near the 10,000 daily tests recommended as a minimum. If the number of cases continues to increase, I hope the governor is willing to delay reopening. I can't see him imposing another lockdown, but that would be okay with me if that's what's needed to get things under control.

He Who Shall Not Be Named (HWSNBN) has moved his Tulsa rally to the day after Juneteenth. Fox News or OANN must have run something noting how folks would view the date. The coronavirus waiver is still going to be used. Considering that Oklahoma's number of cases is once again increasing, the waiver might be a very good idea. I wonder if the Republican National Committee will require delegates to the convention now planned for Jacksonville, Florida to sign waivers. Florida's case numbers are also on the rise.

Tomorrow is HWSNBN's birthday. There's a movement afoot to flood social media with Obama pictures. HWSNBN may not even notice, though, unless someone could hack one of his accounts and post something there. I can dream, can't I?


No comments: