Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 93

It's an overcast, very dreary day. The husband looked out the kitchen window when getting some lunch and asked rhetorically how thick the clouds were to make it as grey as it is out there. There's rain in the forecast for tomorrow and the next day, so the clouds are just getting ready.

The husband wanted to spend the morning taping a new lecture so that he would tape another one this afternoon. Instead, he spent the morning on the phone and/or email battling the bureaucracy of the bookstore that has yet to provide the access code the students need to view the textbook online. He said he'd start taping when I came down here, but the footsteps I hear above me suggest he probably has yet to start. It's gonna be a long three weeks.

Older son has volunteered to take part in a vaccine challenge trial should one (or more) be held. In a challenge trial, people get a dose of the vaccine being tested after which they are given a dose of the virus. If it takes, the vaccine probably isn't doing the intended job. This all happens faster than the usual Phase 3 trials in which people get the vaccine or a placebo and go back to their lives in which they may be exposed to the virus naturally. As he says, he's a perfect subject--young, no dependents, great physical shape, etc. I admire him for being able to volunteer.

As older son and I were walking the family dog this morning, I noticed a pink-trimmed bicycle in the front yard of a house in which a family with a nine-year-old girl lives. I could not help but think how glad I am that I was blessed (cursed?) with two sons rather than daughters. While I was pregnant with younger son, I frequently thought that it would be nice if the second baby were a girl. After the baby popped out and they told me it was a boy, I actually felt a wave of relief. I remember thinking that I could do boys. I got this.

Why wouldn't I have wanted a girl? I'm a tomboy from way back and have never really felt comfortable at female-themed things such as baby or wedding showers. I might have been filled with angst were I to have had a more feminine daughter who was into girl toys, girl clothes, etc. I'm not sure that would have been fair to a girl. I'm sure I felt much more comfortable raising sons than I would have raising a daughter or two.

Yes, there's still a novel coronavirus wreaking havoc outside my window. I just prefer not to dwell on it today. I'm taking a mental health day.

2 comments:

cbott said...

Same here--so glad that Thing 1 and Thing 2 were both boys. I was terrified of bringing a girl into this world. As it was, I was pretty darned scared for my young boys whenever I had to let them use public restrooms by themselves. The curse of mothers: a too-active imagination!

Janet said...

Me three, actually. I would have dealt fine with a girl (especially if she was a tom"boy" like me), but I think I would have worried a lot more as she reached adolescence than I did with my two. But having two boys is great.