Thursday, June 25, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 102

It's been pretty much a do-nothing day here so far (and we're more than halfway through it). Older son asked me to update my Amazon wish list so that he and his father would have some gift ideas for my birthday next week. That took the time between the family dog's second walk and a needed shower before lunch. It was hard to think of things for the list. The pandemic and hermitting have made me look more closely at what I have, and it seems more than enough most days. The things about which I find myself thinking I need turn out to be wants not needs when thought about more closely. (I love the obtuseness of that sentence!)

Since then, I've watched the governor's briefing. He views things as under control enough that future briefings will be as needed. One of the health bigwigs there will soon be departing to a position with the CDC. She had the audacity to make the statement that using a seven-day rolling average, they were consistently testing the 10,000 people per day that they needed to. Do not make such a statement to a data nerd when the raw numbers are readily available going day-by-day through the chart released by the Department of Health. Looking through seven-day averages, starting on June 7 (I was not patient enough to copy numbers back into May), there have been two, yes, two seven-day averages over 10,000, and those were at the start of June.

I did spend some time going through "stuff." The basement family room has been something of a disaster area since we moved my mother out of her condo. The disaster area worsened when we had our interior re-painted and had to clean off shelves, take art off the walls, etc. In four weeks, we're having the hardwood floors refinished which means moving everything out. I'm working on make the family room more livable since we will be living there for a week. The family cat is getting very nervous seeing things boxed up and moved to the sunroom.

The assisted living place where my mother lives is arranging point prevalence covid-19 testing for all the residents and staff. There have been outbreaks (an outbreak is four cases at the same location) at four long-term-care facilities around here; I think it's three that have had deaths. No one where Mom lives has been symptomatic. The form letter I got indicated that the prevalence testing will help guide them in terms of planning for letting residents eat or socialize in groups, reopening for visitors, and so on. It will be interesting to see the results.

So I could now go move more stuff, work on a quilt, load more quilt photos to my website, or start the new jigsaw puzzle that arrived today. The puzzle will probably win.




1 comment:

Caroline M said...

The accountant in me is saying "why 10,000? Who decided it should be that and not 8, 12 or 15,000?" Here we had a suspiciously round number of 100,000 that was the target for some unspecified reason. Leaving aside whether that was the "right" number or one someone magicked from the air, they plainly and simply cheated on it. The end of the month came closer and the target had not been met on any day but then *bam* there it was. The footnotes told all, the figures included postal tests on the day they were sent out. Short of the target? - send out 200,000 postal tests and call them completed.

Needless to say the PM did not mention that in the day's briefing, it was all well done chaps, good job all round. Being caught in a lie destroys trust, if they are mistaken/lie about that thing you checked, what else is it they are getting wrong?