Friday, June 19, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 96

I just put more quilt photos on my website. I also found photos of one quilt on my passport drive that I do not remember making. The photo has no name other than the image number name. If I remember or learn the origin of that quilt, I'll add it.

The number of coronavirus cases in Virginia inches up. It's not in the worrisome stage a lot of states are, but even a slight upturn means the virus isn't going anywhere. We are in a much better place than Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma, or a number of other states, probably because the reopening steps taken here have been smaller or happened over a longer time frame. The governor hinted yesterday that we could enter Phase 3 of reopening a week from today. It will be interesting to see if that happens if the number of new cases continues to creep up.

The courts in Oklahoma refused to block HWSNBN's rally tomorrow night. Will he care if the number of coronavirus cases rises even more sharply in Oklahoma afterwards? No. This is all a game to him. He dismisses Fauci for his comments about whether the NFL will be able to successfully run a full season. I did hear that one of the law enforcement officials with him when he signed his executive order on policing tested positive for coronavirus the next day. I should not hope that HWSNBN catches covid-19, but would that help him takes things seriously? Probably not. His press secretary says that she will not be wearing a mask at the rally, though the campaign chair says he will. I wonder if the press secretary will need to sign a waiver saying that she won't sue should she come down with it post-rally.

The husband continues to tape his lectures in his living room studio. I wonder if I'll absorb some physics listening to this. I never took physics in high school or college. Had I not graduated a year early from high school, I probably would have taken it my senior year. As it was, I stopped my science sequence at chemistry. When I heard other kids talk about physics, it basically sounded like material I'd covered in a differential equations class. I know now that there's much, much more, but having a physicist in the house means I don't need to learn it all.

The weekend looms. Father's Day. The sons expect me to give them ideas of possible gifts. By the time I come up with things they can give, I'm out of ideas of what I can give. So this year, there will be no Father's Day gift from me. He's a good father. I'll tell him that not for the first time. He's a good husband, too, but there is no Spouse's Day. Perhaps that's what wedding anniversaries are for.



1 comment:

Janet said...

Father's Day...we haven't done gifts in decades, partly because it's too hard to come up with ideas. If we want to get something, we buy it. (I bought two new pairs of shoes...they can count as a mother's day gift; my new iPad was essentially my birthday gift).

Yes, I think an anniversary counts as a spouse's day. We're approaching #45.