Monday, June 8, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 85

Having read "Protestors risk infection to 'do whatever it takes'" (subheadlined "Pent-up anger, fatalism drive many to a choice: Marches over quarantine") in today's Washington Post, I'm trying not to feel guilty or over-reacting with my ultra-serious self-quarantine. On the one hand, I am quite active and physically fit for my age and gender. On the other, I have underlying medical issues of varying degrees of severity with my heart, lungs, and kidneys. Three strikes against me? Then there is having had pneumonia almost a year ago now. I only sought medical care because the husband took me and walked me in. After the exam and x-rays, the doc told the husband that it was a very good thing he brought me in when he did. I was by no means seriously ill; I recuperated at home. Left to my own devices, though, I could have ended up much worse. When they say that pneumonia can be one manifestation of covid-19, it scares me possibly more than the underlying health issues.

Moving on to The New York Times, I found this article: "When 511 Epidemiologists Expect to Fly, Hug and Do 18 Other Everyday Activities Again." Here's the intro: "Many epidemiologists are already comfortable going to the doctor, socializing with small groups outside or bringing in mail, despite the coronavirus. But unless there’s an effective vaccine or treatment first, it will be more than a year before many say they will be willing to go to concerts, sporting events or religious services. And some may never greet people with hugs or handshakes again."

There were only four of the 20 everyday activities that more than 41 percent of the sample said they would be willing to do "this summer:" "Bring in mail without precautions; See a doctor for a non-urgent appointment; Vacation overnight within driving distance; Get a haircut at a salon or barber shop." There were six activities that would take a year or more for 42 percent or more of the sample; 64 percent said they would wait that long to "Attend a sporting event, concert or play." Only three percent of the sample said they would be willing to do that "this summer." 

Possibly more interesting were the activities that more than one percent of the sample said they would "never again" do: "Bring in mail without precautions; Exercise at a gym or fitness studio;
Hug or shake hands when greeting a friend; Go out with someone you don't know well; Attend a church or other religious service."

The activity that most intrigues me is bringing in mail without precautions. It was the activity most likely to be done soon; 64 percent said they would do it this summer. However, three percent of the sample said they would never again do it. I think this most intrigues me because it is the one activity on the list that I have not stopped doing even temporarily. The mailbox is at the top of our driveway. Unless the husband is working outside or arriving home from work or the gym (and it's been over three months since he's done that), I am the one who walks up to fetch the mail, sometimes in the company of the family dog. When I bring the mail in, I open things that need to be opened; I don't wipe the outsides of the envelopes first. I think the husband may have done that once, but certainly not much more than that.

The activity most comparable to marching in a protest or demonstration would be the sporting event, concert, or play for which most of the sample would wait a year or more. Seeing the percent of people "in the know" who would not do that right now does, I admit, make me feel better about not breaking hermitting to go out myself. Any  port in a storm perhaps? Maybe, but I'll take what I can get right now.


1 comment:

Janet said...

1) Don't feel guilty about your choices...I think they are eminently wise in your situation. In particular, don't listen to the naysayers who haven't gotten sick and think it's all a hoax. I have a few complicating factors myself including type A blood....
2) We've been bringing in the mail regularly. We might have wiped it down early on, and the counter it sat on until processed; but lately we bring it in (and avoid the mailbox knob which we figure the postman touches), open and process it, and then just wash our hands. Maybe that (hand washing) what some epidemiologists mean by precautions.
3) We're resigned to no plane trips this year or next winter, and are somewhat concerned about overnight stays (with communal "continental breakfast"), but have used portajohns and even bathrooms at parks we've visited (and hand sanitizer back at the car). The one park we've been to with open bathrooms recommends wearing a mask inside, and I think twice about using the hand dryer. I wish they'd all go back to paper, but understand the labor and economic reasons for hand dryers. I'm not convinced the electric dryers are more environmentally friendly than paper products, however. Also, when door open inwards, they NEED to install those foot-pulls so you don't have to touch the handle.
4) Because reports say not much surface transmission, we've had takeout/curbside pickup several times with payment by credit card over the phone (which has its own risks); masks for employee and myself. I went to a plant nursery on Friday...masks for everyone, pay outside under a canopy using a one way checkout lane.
5) If we're all healthy then, we might get to visit the grands in NJ around Father's Day!! It'll be weird but great to see them.