Wednesday, June 24, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 101

Case numbers are surging in multiple states. New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut will require people entering from those surging states to self-quarantine for 14 days.  If you want to figure out which states might be affected, there are some fascinating charts here. Look at the set of red graphs, "States and Territories that Need to Take Action." You can't miss the surging states. They're the ones with the upward vertical lines. I would not want to be in Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Oklahoma, South Carolina, or Texas right now. Virginia is starting to creep up. Maine now requires visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days or get tested for covid-19 and self-quarantine until the test results come back. That sounds like a very good system. Let visitors choose; I expect most will take the test. I certainly would.

The US may soon be country non grata in relation to the European Union. The report I saw said that there were two plans under consideration with both refusing entry to Americans until the situation on this side of the pond has been corrected. I can't put all the blame on HWSNBN, though. Yes, he pushed for reopening sooner rather than later. He sets a very questionable standard by refusing to wear a mask or require those around him to wear them. Still, people don't have to pay attention to him. In fact, they could use him as an example of what not to do. Just because restaurants are now open does not mean you have to go out to eat in them. Just because HWSNBN doesn't wear a mask doesn't mean you shouldn't.

I have to be honest, though. Were I in those fearless teen or twenty-something years of age, I might very well be doing the same unwise things so many people are right now. I think most of us go through ages in which we feel invincible. One reason is because at those ages, we know we know everything. I probably could have used someone whispering in my ear, "You know nothing, Jean Lightner." I'm not sure at what age I flipped the page to the one that told me I was human and not immune to bad decisions or bad luck. We can probably all remember things we've done that could have turned out so differently and not in a good sense. We probably had good luck when we made some of those bad decisions or made good decisions when our luck was bad. I'm glad to be facing these times as an adult (or reasonable imitation of one) instead.

3 comments:

cbott said...

I know exactly the point at which I flipped the page--the first moment I held my first child. It was then that I felt the full weight of my mortality.

I use TIFI as my compass every day. WWTIFID? I know without question what action to take (if you need it spelled out: 180 degrees).

I occurs to me that Mexico might finally pay to have that wall built--to keep us IN!

Caroline M said...

We are opening up in two weeks and I now have to make choices. My hairdresser called today, I let my slot go to someone more deserving (I have clippers) but booked my son in. Our favourite rib place is opening and I promised the boy we'd go for his birthday. If it were down to me we'd be going later in the year but that's not fair on him. At 20 his risk is very low. We are going out for his belated birthday lunch as soon as they open before cases shoot up again. If it was just me and my son then I'd do everything, if it was just me and mum I'd stay home. I have all three to consider and it's hard to balance everything.

The chimney sweep is coming regardless, that's as low contact as it comes.

If I was twenty odd again - yes, I'd be doing whatever I pleased. We were all young, fit and healthy with no thought to tomorrow.

Janet said...

I'm happy most of us are sane people. I don't feel comfortable yet eating out (we have ordered takeout), or traveling where I'd need to stay overnight at a public accommodation, especially with some states seeing rising numbers of cases.

My community just decided they're not opening the community pool that we pay HOA fees for, and some neighbors are irate. HOA insurance doesn't cover Covid and board members "could" potentially be sued if they opened, someone got sick and decided to file. It's sad that some people are oblivious to the need to be more vigilant than ever.