Thursday, May 14, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 60

Today would have been my father's 91st birthday. He made it to 81 before he lost a years-long battle with multiple myeloma. Looking ahead to this day earlier in the week, I found myself wondering what Dad would be thinking today. He was a biologist by training, so I know the novel coronavirus would have been of great interest. I know, though, that he would have been an ardent supporter of He Who Shall Not Be Named. I have said on more than one occasion that it was a good thing he did not make it to the ascension of He Who Shall Not Be Named to the presidency. I managed to keep my mouth shut and not make waves when Dad told me that John McCain should be the VP nominee on Sarah Palin's presidential bid. I could not have done the same eight years later.

How would Dad have balanced the biology behind the virus with the many unscientific claims of He Who Shall Not Be Named? I do wonder, but at the same time, I don't want to know. I probably could not have kept my mouth shut on the question.

No comments: