Friday, May 22, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 68

From yesterday: Coming tomorrow: how one comic strip is slyly addressing some of the mental health effects of the pandemic.

Marciuliano and Manley have incorporated the pandemic into the Judge Parker. The filming of a television pilot in Cavelton (after many years, we were this year told the name of the town in which Judge Parker is set) was stopped due to the pandemic. This has affected various characters in various ways. To go into all of them would show what a comics nerd I can be, so I won't. Sophie, adopted daughter of Abby and Sam, was kidnapped three years ago in a very bizarre departure from what passes as normal in the strip. She is still in therapy working through what happened to her. In another nod to the pandemic, her sessions are now conducted via Zoom. Here is Wednesday's strip:


This seems like very good advice targeted at anyone who is foundering their way through dealing with pandemic-wrought changes such as working from home, not working, feeling cooped up, and so on. A lot of us are, I'm pretty sure, wondering how others are coping, and how our coping compares with them. The therapist's advice about not using general, even undefined, terms to refer to nebulous things or entities seems pretty sound. We can't define ourselves or evaluate our skills in relation to an unknown standard. And comparison even to a known standard can be dicey. That person we think we know may have expertise or experience we have not seen that allows them to manage in ways we might not have thought of.

Yesterday's strip was not so directly relatable to the pandemic and coping, but still had some words of wisdom. We should question ourselves every so often, and this period of, for many of us, less doing and more being would not be a bad time for that. I find myself trying to imagine what my life would be like without the pandemic. It would clearly be different than it is now, but would it be better? Introspection is not always without some discomfort but does offer insight we might be able to put to good use.

The governor speaks at 2:00, but I have a Zoom call with my mom scheduled for the same time. I'd like to think that the governor will address some metrics on which the state could look a hell of a lot better, but he most likely won't. Selectively picking and choosing is one of the easiest ways to lie with statistics.


2 comments:

Janet said...

We're all winging it the best we can, politicians as much as the rest of us. CDC's numbers apparently don't tell a clear story because state health systems don't. I'm fortunate (I think?) to have inherited my dad's "que sera, sera" but cautious approach to life, but sympathize with those who are dealing with more anxiety (daughter-in-law included). It's new times for everyone. If we're still here next year this time, we did something right.

Caroline M said...

I don't think the governor will miss you. I prefer to not listen to the live speeches because they take an hour to deliver something that could be said in ten minutes. I've heard the standard part over and over and don't need to hear it again. I know I have a lot of free time these days but I still prefer to not waste it.