Monday, May 11, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 57

I cut two articles out of this morning's Washington Post. Sally Jenkins wrote about three coaches who knew what messages to send and when to send them. The article began

The right call can swing a game sometimes, but it happens a lot less than you think. The right word, however — that’s infinitely more powerful. The ability to say the right thing at the right time, to lift a team out of a deficit or reach a player who is drowning in insecurity, to restore, rescue even, that’s real coaching. Real leading. 

You can read the rest of it here. It's worth reading. 

The other article was from the Couch Slouch, Norman Chad. "Pandemic is reminding us we don't need more sports in our lives--we need less" Humor is good at a time like this, and the Couch Slouch provides. Reading this column reminded me that flipping through channels one day not too long ago, I encountered the world dodgeball championships on ESPN. Dodgeball. Like in the movie. No, I did not watch it once I saw enough to ascertain that it was for real. 

True leadership. Something we need these days. Humo(u)r. We also need that.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

My son is a musician, it's all he's ever wanted to do. It is somewhat looked down on - why not be an engineer, lawyer or one of the professions with social standing. My husband once gave him the "you do you" talk and I remember so clearly him saying that in times of crisis what people want is something to lift their spirits and that there will always be a need for an entertainer. I've thought about that a lot in the last couple of months.

I'm not sure that there's not enough leadership to go around at the moment, we've not got any spare to lend you. I think I could have made a better job of this week myself, we're not all in this together because there seems to be a total lack of understanding about what the public wants. It's not "when can I cram on the tube and get back to my desk?" but "when can I see my mum?" The two things that are most important to people on the street were in the press pack but not the address to the nation. Masks in confined places and meeting one person in a public space. I'm sure these are trivial when one is grand enough to not shop for groceries or use public transport but for the rest of us it's a big deal.

Thank you for the U, I can add my own as I go. The thing that tripped me up for years was gray/grey because where did that come from?