Saturday, May 2, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 48

Other than reading the newspapers, I've been trying to make today a virus-free day, a normal day in that the only stressors are things close at hand, not that there have been many of those. I finished a quilt by sewing on the label and putting it through it's coming-out laundry cycle. It's in the dryer now. I cleaned up my studio a bit but still haven't found the instructions for a bag I'm making. I took my third practice piece off my loom last night and need to wash it. And I picked up various things I've been meaning to mend and figure that's tomorrow's to-do list.

It appears that states are partially reopening, with rural areas leading the way as many cities stay closed. Unless there are roadblocks on the exit and entrance roads, I don't see this as ending well. City people heading to the outskirts to shop, access personal services, or just see other people are going to take the virus with them. The damned thing about all this is how many asymptomatic people there are. I'm guessing that they are spreading the virus though possibly not to the degree the more active sufferers are. It's scary, though. Is the healthy looking person ahead of you in the grocery aisle exhaling germs you'll be walking through?

I wrote the above sentence as if I've been going to the grocery store. Not so! Once again, older son took my list and this morning brought a bounty of foodstuffs to us. He wears a mask and gloves while shopping and changes clothes as soon as he gets home. He said this morning that half the shoppers at Wegman's yesterday were Instacart shoppers, only some of whom were wearing masks. He did not like that some of them would be traveling in the middle of an aisle and then stop to call their client about a substitution, forcing people to make a line behind since passing would be at too close a distance. I know. First-world problems.

It has been nice to have something of a virus-free day. I'll probably hear all I want to hear if we watch the news later. In the meantime, the mail needs checking.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

Today is the first day since February that I've not made an entry in my journal. Maybe I just needed a day off too.