Saturday, May 9, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 55

Random musings as week eight in the Hermitage draws to a close:

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Last year, my mom was in the hospital, in what started off a very bad nine or ten months. This year, to see my mom would have involved making an appointment for a 30-minute spot on the sidewalk conversing at a social distance as she sat in her wheelchair on the patio. We decided to give it a pass.

Mother's Day falling on May 10 has an unhappy history on my dad's side of the family. His mother's birthday was May 10 and, as can be seen this year, May 10 is occasionally Mother's Day. In the early 1960s, my grandmother's birthday was on Mother's Day which that year happened to be the day on which her husband suffered a fatal heart attack. Her birthday and Mother's Day were never the same for her after that, especially when they coincided.


I wrapped two birthday gifts for younger son today. His birthday was over a month ago. The husband's birthday was four days after younger son's. Celebrations are on hold during the realm of the novel coronavirus. Older son, whose birthday is in November, has suggested that we wait until the week between Christmas and New Year's, assuming we can at least be together by then, have a blow-out week-long celebration of everything and everybody. We might as well throw Mother's Day and Father's Day in there, too. The plan sounds good in theory; I just hope it can hold up in practice.

My mom says that the memory care (or Alzheimer's) floor at her senior living facility has had what seems like a lot of deaths recently. At least it seems that there have been more photos posted on the "in memory" bulletin board in the lobby than there usually are. I asked whether she knew if they were doing testing to determine if covid-19 might have contributed to the deaths. She didn't know for sure but did not think they were doing any testing. She said that a new resident moved in this week, something that had been on hold at one point. Mom, always the optimist, figures the facility has been losing money and needs more residents to make up the difference.




1 comment:

Caroline M said...

Dan had a birthday cake and presents (as you know) and delivery pizza. We usually go out for a birthday meal but that is postponed until normal service resumes. Our usual place has recently opened for takeaway but it's half an hour away so it's difficult to justify the travel and it would mean no ice cream. I was tired of hearing myself grumble about always having to bake my own cake so at Christmas I bought a fruit cake and stuck it in the freezer ready for my birthday in June. Now I am itching to get it out of there because it's taking up valuable space that I could be using for something essential such as a bag of peas.

I vaguely remember having mother's day, ours is earlier in the year.