Friday, May 1, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 47

I watched most of the governor's press conference this afternoon. I missed the meat but made it in time for the side dishes, that is, the press questions. It was nice to see a positive relationship between press and politician. Reasonable questions followed by reasonable answers. The governor deferred to the specialized talking heads as needed. There were no insults, nor were there any raised voices except from the reporters who were apparently seated in the back row.

The state's numbers could be better; they are flattening but not yet headed down. The governor said he will announce on Monday whether his executive order that certain businesses could reopen on Friday would be altered. He also said he hoped that schools could be back in session in late August or early September, referring to K-12 schools, not colleges and universities. The husband is still predicting his university will open online; I go back and forth on agreeing with him or not.

Some businesses are still in operation. The window people are still coming this Wednesday to replace most of the main floor windows as well as those in the master bedroom and around our foyer. I've promised older son I'll stay in the basement, thereby not getting close to anyone. Luckily, there is a refrigerator down there. I think all that is in it now is beer, but hey, things could be worse. I'm not sure why, but we decided to make 2020 the year of multiple home projects. We sneaked the interior repainting of everything except the basement in before the pandemic started. I hate to admit it, but it was the first interior repainting since we had the house built in 1985. We were supposed to have the hardwood floors on the same floors sanded and refinished, but that's on hold for now. And now, the windows.

The Vice He Who Shall Not Be Named claims that the virus troubles will be largely over by Memorial Day which is but three weeks from this coming Monday. He must have blinders on, and I'd bet they are rose-colored. He Who Shall Not Be Named's son-in-law says things will be well on their was back to normal in June and will be "rocking" in July. What planet are these people from? I honestly do not think we will ever get back to what we used to call normal. Even with a vaccine and treatment for this coronavirus, we now know that a new virus can arise at almost any time. Keep that in the back of your mind. Everything we take (or took) for granted can be gone or greatly altered in a very short time.

I worry that I am getting numb to too much of this. The anger I feel at He Who Shall Not Be Named does not feel as extreme as it did several weeks ago. Nothing he has said or done lately surprises me. A lot of the time, I just shake my head and turn away. I fight getting complacent, but complacency is often the winner these days. Is it helplessness that is weakening my responses? I do feel some helplessness in locking myself away from things I might do to help, such as donating blood. Am I superstitious in being very afraid that given all the other life shit of the last twelve months of my life I will find the virus if it doesn't find me first? Pneumonia ten months ago was scary enough.

And the gears in my brain continue to turn in mysterious ways. I am hoping the weekend might provide perspective, which may be a vain hope in that one day now is very much like any other day.


2 comments:

Caroline M said...

Sunday is the day I put the bin out for collection so I have that one nailed down but after that it feels like SecondSunday, SundayAdjacent, NearlySunday. It doesn't matter what I call the days because they are all exactly the same except for the one with the dustbins and the one where I go shopping. That one changes because I'd hate to get stuck in a rut.

As for your talking heads, I can say I'm blonde, 6 foot 6 and an Olympic athlete but saying it doesn't make it so. I think we will get back to something that feels like normal and that will be good enough. It may not be the life that we had but as long as we enjoy what we have does that matter? If we are lucky/saved by science it may just die out/be totally controlled and we really do get back to a normal-normal except that those who lived through it will have been changed by the experience.

Janet said...

Your reaction is normal and part of the so-called grieving process this virus has caused. We can only stay on high-alert for so long.

I've gotten tired of reading news so now mostly skim headlines, and continue reading the Outlander series of books (when I can get them free from the library). Avoidance, I know. But it keeps me mostly sane between exercise outings and meals,