Friday, April 24, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 40

We now live in The Onion (for those not familiar with it, The Onion is a newspaper parody)! How else could a Labradoodle breeder be named chief coronavirus vaccine czar? How else could it be thought that by some means introducing a disinfectant to someone's lungs might get rid of the virus? And what about tanning beds or sunny playgrounds as a more external means of virus elimination? He Who Shall Not Be Named sinks lower in my estimation daily, and yesterday's drop was multiple levels.

And today He Who Shall Not Be Named had me just at the point of tears I was so angry. No financial aid will be given to the US Postal Service unless it raises the rates it charges for sending packages. He Who Shall Not Be Named mentions, seriously or not, that they might quadruple those rates. He wants to put the Postal Service out of business so that people can't vote by mail: He has said that if all voting were by mail Republicans would never win another election. And he evidently has the power to do this given that the Senate basically has his back. My stomach turns just thinking about it.

And then there was the news that He Who Shall Not Be Named's senior policy adviser Stephen Miller is on tape saying that the 60-day curb on immigration will help lead to the long-term changes he sees as necessary to get the America he wants. Forget the angry tears; this one makes me want to punch someone in the gut or kick them somewhere below that. Who among us does not have an immigrant within several generations back? The husband is an immigrant for Pete's sake even if he did immigrate from our neighbor just to the north. My great-grandparents on one side came from Germany. Even He Who Shall Not Be Named has an immigrant in the family woodshed not too far back. That's a fact ... one he prefers to overlook.

And so the intended as humorous post on the rise of Zoom as a communications technique will have to wait until another day. I need my hands now to cover my face as I shake my head.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

Before 2001 we had to have a reason to request a postal vote - working the elections in a polling station other than your own being one of them. Idleness or dislike of rain did not count. Since that date all you have to do is ask for one, you can do it when you register as a voter and once you've ticked the box you have a postal vote for all future polls. I've had enough experience on both sides of the table in polling stations, I am very firmly a postal voter.

45 raises my blood pressure, I don't want to think about him for a moment more than I have to.