Thursday, April 23, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 39

Besides diet and exercise ads, Facebook seems to think I need a planner. Now, my definition of "planner" is an appointment book. My ideal planner would have not only daily pages but also monthly grid calendars. I like to see both the big and the small pictures.

"Planner" today and to others seems to imply motivation, goal-setting, priorities, and the like as well as emotions and moods. I already jot notes for each day on the back of the preceding day's page-a-day calendar (this year's is Thoughts of Dog). I do not want to list those in a book (often hardcover), and check them off as I complete them. Some planners have this all set up for you. There are others that are bullet planners. Each page has a grid of dots. The user draws lines, color codes items, and such to basically design their personal planner. I have seen some entries, neatly lettered and color-coded, that would take me all day to do by which time they would be outdated.

Why do we need planners now? At least here, we are not going anywhere. Only the deities know in which direction the novel coronavirus will send us. I like to think I will still be working at the Fall Fiber Festival the first weekend in October, but I'm not going to write it in ink on a calendar, not yet anyway. So a planner of any sort is superfluous for now. I remember the birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions without having them written in plain sight. If things arise to schedule in 2021, perhaps I'll buy a celebratory planner then.

Georgia starts to re-open tomorrow. As the young'ns say, shit gonna get real.


2 comments:

Caroline M said...

My to do list fell off my radar about 40 days ago. The only thing I've kept up with is cleaning the coffee machine out on a Monday. Go there, do that, book the other thing - ppfft. All gone now.

Did you ever see Red Dwarf? If I say Arnold Rimmer's revision planner does it mean anything? It was a procrastination tool and by the time it was all planned out to the minute in many colours there was no time left to revise.

Caroline M said...

https://vault.hanover.edu/~pittenger/Rimmer.htm