Thursday, April 16, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 32

I think the world has finally gotten to me. I slept well but woke up feeling tired. I felt weary. I felt sad. I felt angry. I felt helpless. I just felt funny, as if I were on a seven-second delay with the life going on around me. The husband and older son suggested that after a month of the new normal, my body and soul are just tired of it. They are probably right. Running under everything else on my mind is a current of hows and whys and why nows about what is going on with the world. There's a little person in there throwing up her hands and proclaiming, "We so do not need this!" Would it help to be able to see a reason behind it all? Would it help to be willing to assign responsibility to a deity's wrath?

I've read that people in a high risk group (raising my hand here) should not let their guard down at all until there is a vaccine against the coronavirus and they have been so vaccinated. Maybe after a year or more of this life I'll feel better. Right now, though, it all sucks a bunch.

Cue Lil Orphan Annie music about the sun coming out tomorrow, tomorrow...

2 comments:

Caroline M said...

We just finished the first statutory three week stay home period and, no surprises, have had it extended for another three weeks. I know that we are buying time for improvements in testing, for the new hospitals, for contact tracing apps, for evaluation of treatments. Maybe in the next three weeks there will be something that changes. That's what is getting to me, there is no change or none that I can see.

The one change I can see on the horizon is that there may be a requirement soon for masks in public so I might actually make one today. Yesterday I moved things round in the garage for my new flour bin (if the only way I can get bread flour is in 16kg sacks then so be it) and found copper wire. That was my only excuse for not getting started. It just feels like losing another bit of normal life so I don't want to do it until I have to. I think London will want to follow NY for the same reason and then the whole country will have to move together.

Janet said...

I think we're a bit ahead of you both in my state. PA's gov was one of the first to issue a state-wide stay-at-home order.

I respect the virus and started wearing a mask to grocery shop* before it was ordered (now required of both customers and employees in any open business). My store enacted one-way lanes last week (or was it earlier this week?), though not everyone complies. Still, sometimes it's hard to stay 6' away from another shopper, but at least I haven't heard any coughs. And I wipe down my hands (sanitizer) and car handles (Clorox wipes) in the car, and wash hands completely after unloading groceries.

*There's no way in hell I'm getting up for "senior hour" from 6-7am there, but I try to keep my distance from other shoppers.

I've read this week that asthma is much lower on the underlying condition list than, say, high blood pressure, obesity, heart disease with regard to complications. Not that that helps much.