Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 37

Ready or not, there are states beginning the process of re-opening. Georgia is starting within the next week. The governor says they are ready, while there are mayors saying their cities are not. And Georgia does not meet the re-opening conditions specified in the guidance from He Who Shall Not Be Named. I wonder how many other governors might be thinking they'll watch what happens in Georgia before they make a decision on their own states.

Testing for the coronavirus remains a big issue. He Who Shall Not Be Named says that the states need to act on their own, but when they do, they might find themselves outbid by the federal government. Go figure. Maryland just scored something like 500,000 tests from South Korea helped by the fact that the governor's wife was born in South Korea. Now they have to hope that the tests arrive. There are stories of the feds diverting shipments to states and adding them to the federal stockpile.

I have not heard much about contact tracing, but that may be because it's not clear contacts need to be traced unless there is a positive test result. Don't put the cart before the horse. Or maybe it's because of privacy issues. Americans can get touchy about such things, unlike citizens of some other countries. If people are observing the stay-at-home directives, there should not be that many contacts for them to remember. Still, trying to identify and find specific people or people who were in a specific place at a specific time could be interesting.

As I told older son in an email, a quilt guild member finished her 500th mask last night at 11:00; I was not that member. I did, however, try making a surgical cap today. There were a few moments of frustration, but both the cap and I survived. If the friend for whom I made it likes it, I may make a few more. They should go faster than the first, prototype did. I'd post a photo, but the ones I sent from phone to laptop seem to be caught in the ether, and the laptop does not seem to want to pull today's photos off my phone, though it will get photos taken a week ago.

What more can I say? It was just another hermitting day here. I do like "hermitting" better than "quarantining." I view there being an outside mandate to quarantine whereas hermitting is something a person wants to do, not has to do.

2 comments:

Caroline M said...

I'm feeling more hopeful than I have in days because trials of a vaccine start on Thursday. We celebrated with waffles and ice cream (thereby creating a bit more space in the freezer)

The Mongolian beef was very tasty, I had no spring onions but I was going to substitute onions except I didn't have any of those either. There was a last minute substitution of the only thing I did have - mange tout. Needs must when the devil drives.

Janet said...

I like "hermitting" much better too, especially since "quarantining" (to me, as a term) implies exposure or possible exposure.

We hadn't discovered a "good" Chinese restaurant before this but we do have a good local Thai place (one of those small businesses that probably didn't get a loan because luxury restaurant Ruth's Chris Steakhouse did). Mongolian beef does sound tasty.