Saturday, August 8, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 146

Is Virginia starting to surge? The number of new cases yesterday was large enough to yield the highest seven-day rolling average number of cases yet. Granted, that average (1,198) was highest by only a wee bit (3) over the previous highest (1,195). That was on May 31. And the numbers being reported now supposedly do not yet include the 140 cases and 20 deaths at a local senior care facility. Things just keep getting more and more interesting. 

There are some people in my subdivision who have been working from home. There are others who have been going somewhere to work. Some people were working from home but now are going back to an office. As older son and I were walking the family dog one morning, one of the neighbors came out her front door and got into her car to, I presume, go to work. She was dressed in what you might call "business casual," khaki slacks and a short-sleeved maroon top. My immediate thought was that I had not a single idea any more about what to wear to work. I guess two-plus decades of working from home had its side effects. On the rare occasions I had to attend a retreat or a staff meeting (these are now called "team meetings"), I was the most casually dressed person there and I was dressing up as much as I could without putting on a skirt and--gasp!--panty hose or tights. 

There has been a discussion of late in an online quilt guild to which I belong of being invited to a social function at which masks were optional or, in the case of a wedding, prohibited. Fortunately, I do not get invited to many (at times that would be more like any) social functions, meaning I have not faced this issue. It's easier just to say that I am not going anywhere until there is a reliable vaccine and treatment and, if someone asks why not, noting my underlying medical conditions. Masks do not figure into the equation at all for me. 

That discussion began with news that a bride who worked in a health care setting and a groom who was a first-responder did not want masks worn at their wedding. Masks would not fit into their idea of a "perfect" wedding. One member of the online group noted that she knew someone who was doing custom masks that fit a wedding theme or the colors of the bridesmaids' dresses. What a great idea! Personally, I think the masks would make the wedding more memorable. I'm betting that I'd remember a masked wedding 35 years ago a bit better than I remember my own, maskless wedding after the same amount of time. 

Today's Washington Post had an article reporting on the supportive lawn signs appearing on the yards of houses in Dr. Fauci's neighborhood. "Honk for Fauci" "Thank you, Dr. Fauci" A neighbor started the trend after getting tired of hearing about detractors of the doctor. Some of those detractors, though, have threatened the doc and his family; I wonder if such public displays of admiration will stoke their anger.

Thought for the coming week: To how many people will the 250,000 bikers gathering in Sturgis, South Dakota, transmit the novel coronavirus? While pondering that, be thankful that the attendance pales in comparison to last year's 500,000.

No comments: