Saturday, August 29, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 167

Former hurricane and tropical storm Laura was pretty much of a bust here. It would have been nice if the rain had lasted a bit longer. I split my walk into two segments before and after dog care, and the rain that cooled me on the first walk ws gone for the second. I still managed seven miles over the two walks, but that end of the second one was rough. I would not have made it without the hydration vest older son gave me. 

The unpacking and sorting of books continues. I managed to get the cookbooks put on shelves today. I don't have as many as I thought. A few years back, I went through my cookbooks and kept those that I frequently or occasionally used and those I realistically thought I might use. The rest ended up on bookshelves in the basement. Besides the general cookbooks, I kept multiple vegetarian cookbooks, some instant pot cookbooks, all my pie cookbooks, and the bread cookbook I use the most often. I wrestled with whether to put my large three-ring binders of recipes in sheet protectors up for public view--they'd been kept on a shelf in the pantry--and decided to do so. They helped fill the empty space at the end of one shelf.

Europe is seeing a resurgence of covid-19 cases. Unlike the earlier wave of cases, this is affecting mainly younger people. This does not mean that the more elderly folks are safe, especially now that it is pretty clear people can become re-infected. Immunity doesn't last as long as one might hope. I wonder how that little fact might interact with how a vaccine would operate. We get flu shots every year, and they last for about six months. How often might we need covid-19 shots, and for how long would they last? A bit of food for thought I might ponder on tomorrow morning's walk.

On this morning's walk, I pondered the shelves in the new refrigerator and how one might be moved to put certain things more at eye level. It is nice that these days the produce bins all have clear front panels. Out of sight, out of mind used to be a killer when it came to my interaction with vegetables and fruits. Now I can see and be reminded that those foods are good for me, and better the fresher they are. The new refrigerator is working out nicely. The husband is going to see about unhooking the automatic ice maker to give a bit more room in the freezer. The refrigerator is across the kitchen from the sink, and we don't want to do the work necessary to get water to an ice maker or drink dispenser. Ice cube trays work just fine for me. 

HWSNBN has made some pretty outlandish claims in the past couple of days, but I'd rather keep my blood pressure down by not detailing them.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I'd look wider for the story on that reinfection. I've read a couple of stories that were not doom and gloom and said that it was showing that their immune system recognised the disease the second time around and did its job. It was demonstrating immunity in action. They unknown is that don't know whether he was shedding live cells and so was infectious which would have been the concerning thing. If you catch it and don't get ill that's a good thing, that's what we want from a vaccine after all.

I have decided to ignore your election until it goes away. It's not as if I get a vote and I have enough to fret about without looking for more drama.