Sunday, August 9, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 147

Does hitting 21 weeks make us legal to drink? Not that it really matters. I'll probably have wine with dinner, 21 weeks or no 21 weeks. In a couple of weeks, we'll hit six months. Half a year. Is there a traditional anniversary gift for half a year? Probably not, but maybe I'll think of something to get us even if no gift is called for.

Putting the house back together is proving to be quite draining. I have something I want to set up, move, unpack, an wham! something new raises its head and whines to do it first. I've been trying to work on the more family-oriented areas of the house so as to keep the husband from asking why nothing is getting done. He reassembled two bookcases for the living room then wondered why I was not immediately putting books back on them. I pointed out that the books were in boxes that had been covered by more than a few larger, non-boxed items, and would require excavation. Now a couple of sewing projects have presented themselves meaning I need to direct attention to my sewing room/studio (I feel pretentious when I call it a studio, but I do many things in it other than sewing). Getting that room vacuumed and set back up may take a day or two. Fortunately, the sewing projects are not major one. I'll just have to direct some attention to family space at the same time. 

The university president and senior administrators are doing a Zoom town hall tomorrow for community members. I may register to participate, not that I have any pressing questions, and just lurk. It starts at 5:00 which means it will likely still be going on when the 6:00 news airs. Rather than stay up until the 11:00 news, I'll probably read about it in Tuesday's local paper. I'm wondering just how testy the atmosphere will get. From that respect, it would probably be better to watch it in real time. Sounds like a decision to make tomorrow.

The decision now is to make banana bread to get rid of some bananas worthy of being mashed.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

It's a classic"but first". I am going to put the books back, but first I have to move 23 boxes. I also think things would go much faster if I didn't have to stop and produce a meal at regular intervals.