Friday, August 21, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 159

Can we use Hermione's time travel amulet and just go back to yesterday? Today's problem du jour is a dead refrigerator. Initially, it looked as if just the freezer had died, but it soon became apparent that the refrigerator compartment was warming up as well. It's a Kenmore that we've had since 2008. I know that well because the husband and I picked it out together at Sears, and it was delivered a few days later by which time I was in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Interestingly, only one of the local appliance repair places or solo guys will work on Kenmores, and the one that will said that rather than fix a 12-year old refrigerator, we might as well just replace it. Sounds like what we were told about the heat pump.

Right now, I've got some chicken legs and pork ribs in the oven, and have already cooked five hamburger patties and two hunks of sirloin. We weren't going to refreeze the meat that had thawed, but now that it's been cooked, we can put it in the chest freezer in the garage. Tomorrow, the husband goes refrigerator shopping, possibly with older son. We've talked about the key characteristics they should look for. There's no guarantee, though, that they can buy a refrigerator and get it delivered all in one day. It might be doable if the husband had his pickup truck, but that's been loaned to younger son. For now, the things that needed cooling the most such as almond milk or yogurt are chilling in the basement beer fridge. Everyone needs a beer fridge.

I survived this morning's 5-mile walk with no dog bites. Someone was walking a dog I did not recognize--it was on a lead--so I cut through the woods so as to avoid interaction with unknown dog and barely known people. he family dog wanted two walks this morning, so I'd already walked close to three miles before starting the daily five. Older son runs 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) while I walk five; he offers encouragement whenever we meet each other on our laps around the subdivision.

I need to search for Joe Biden's acceptance speech to watch after hearing that Fox News called it a home run. HWSNBN and Fox News are having a real falling out these days. I wonder what channel(s) HWSNBNis watching while he rage-tweets these days. The husband continues to be pessimistic about Biden's chances. He figures that HWSNBN's base is a sure thing when it comes to voting, but he's not as optimistic about everyone else. He does feel a bit better every time he sees mention of a Republican someone endorsing Biden. I fully expect that should HWSNBN wins the election, the husband will start retirement proceedings and looking for a house in Canada. He says that I will have no problem being allowed to move there given that I'm married to a Canadian. I'm sort of hoping we don't have to find out if that's true so soon.

I just looked at the website https://www.endcoronavirus.org/states. I haven't looked at the US states assessment there in over a week. Several states and territories have dropped down in classification. Maine, for example, was listed as a state that had its act together. Now it's listed as needing to take action. Virginia remains in the needing to take action category; I don't see it moving up any time soon especially not as colleges and universities reopen. Guam was listed as having its act together and now sits as needing to take action with a new case line that is basically vertical. I haven't been too optimistic about the big coronavirus picture, and nothing I see is changing that. Fauci says that we will get back to normal, but I wonder what that normal will be. At least I don't need to wait until the pandemic wanes to get a new refrigerator.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I saw yesterday that the WHO says we'll be back to normal in two years. I don't know what sort of normal that is, the old normal or some strange new normal.

Here new cases are mainly in the 20-30 age range so cases are rising but not hospitalisations or deaths. Yet.