Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 85 (585)

I'm working the late shift of early voting today meaning I won't be home until 7:30ish. And since we're going to be short-handed, I may spend six straight hours staring at a monitor as I check voters in. That means I'll be more ready to go to bed when I get home than I'll be to write something.

As we've noted before, New York City now mandates workers' vaccination with no option for regular testing. At least 46,000 city workers, including police officers and firefighters, have yet to be vaccinated. Those who get their first dose at city-run vaccination centers between now and October 29 will get an extra $500 in their paychecks. This makes me wonder if any of those 46,000 were holding out for the proper incentive, which $500 might just be. It's almost a reward for delaying. 

We're moving closer every day to vaccinating children between the ages of five and 11. The plan is to vaccinate children in smaller settings than the mass clinics used by adults. Smaller settings include such places as pediatricians' offices or grocery/drug stores. The number of parents saying that they have concerns about vaccinating such young children has risen over the last few months. In a recent poll, 25 percent said that they were "extremely unlikely" to get their children vaccinated, and another nine percent were "somewhat unlikely." Major concerns are how new the vaccines are, whether they have been tested enough in young children, whether they actually work, and whether there are immediate side effects or long-term health issues as children grow. 

Would I take my under-11 kids to be vaccinated? I would, probably so quickly that I would lose out on any future incentive offered to parents who wait. How does $500 per child sound?

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

If I were working and vaccination meant children stayed in class then I'd be first in line. My employer liked me to be at work rather than suddenly at home with no notice.