Sunday, October 3, 2021

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 67 (567)

Oh joy, it appears that the newer variants of the coronavirus are better at traveling through the air than the original versions were. Masks may become even more important both in how often we wear them and of what material they're made. It makes me shake my head even more at the people who won't get vaccinated. 

At least the vaccine mandates put in place by some businesses are working. People don't want to lose jobs and will for that reason get themselves vaccinated. I use to talk about parenting in terms of when a parent could start using the tools of threats and bribes. It seems that the threat of losing one's job works better than the bribe of a lottery ticket.

And tomorrow I get to dive into more details again. I can't say I've missed that, but I have felt a wee bit out of touch.

2 comments:

Caroline M said...

We're inching closer to the jab or job day of November 11th for care staff. It looks as if the vaccination programme has stalled, all those who are interested have had it. It's been greater than the usual take up for 'flu, I think I said that's 75% in situations where it's free, your employer arranges it and it's done on work time. The inclusion of 12-15 year olds has temporarily broken the vaccination percentage page, I suspect smoke and mirrors to be involved.

Janet said...

Hope it was a delightful weekend, and a respite from Covid immersion.

Summer was a nice time to not wear a mask, but we're doing so again inside public places, although we have taken them off to eat indoors a couple of times (while seated). Still doing takeout from the few places we order food out; I wear a mask to go inside pick it up though not all restaurant workers do.

At an outdoor orienteering event this past weekend (we went to eastern Massachusetts), hardly anyone wore masks except for meet workers, mostly, in the busy start and finish areas. We're a population that is 1) for the most part, older, and 2) educated enough to have gotten vaccinated. More than half the competitors were age 60+.