Sunday, November 15, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 245

Thirty-five weeks! Let the revelry begin! I'm not sure what there is to revel about, though. The number of cases gets higher every day, and the Dakotas may be the worst covid-19 site in the world. Doctors Without Borders has entered the picture, citing the US as a major outbreak. Let that sink in. Doctors Without Borders. The NGO that we think of as responding to outbreaks in the third world, such as the Ebola outbreaks in Africa. Have we become one of the shithole countries The Orange Foolius ranted about earlier in his reign, er, presidency? I'm not sure there's any other way to look at it all. 

I've read that doctors are scared of the covid-19 outbreaks they will see in the ten days or so following Thanksgiving, and whatever Christmas/New Years outbreaks will arise in January. The people who refuse to do even a minimum of mitigation really piss me off. Is it really that hard to wear a mask or stay at fingertip-to-fingertip distance with other people? I can see many people not caring whether they infect other people or not, but the masks and distancing protects the person wearing or keeping it as well. You may not want to look out for others, but at least look out for yourself!

The Presidential transition or lack thereof continues. It did occur to me that if Uncle Joe is not getting daily intelligence briefings, isn't Cousin Kamala getting them? She is, after all, on the Senate Intelligence Committee and will be until she is sworn in as Veep on January 20. I think that at least in terms of the campaign her security clearance is higher than Uncle Joe's. Someone on the incoming side need to know what's going on where. 

I have not pottered today, but there is still time for a bit. I did move Twiggy (my ultra-thin Lenovo laptop) back to the standing desk in my basement office. My back was getting worse every day I was using it upstairs, sitting. This feels much better. I wanted a small but heavy table moved from the basement to the living room, a task that fell to Son #1. I need to see if I really like it where I had him put it. I'll think about that when I'm sitting in the living room reading tonight. 

No word from my mom's assisted living facility on Friday. I have my fingers crossed that that means all the covid-19 tests done on Wednesday came back negative. If so and all of them this week come back negative, the facility may be able to loosen things up a bit. I know from a chat with the receptionist that the thing most residents wanted back was the beauty shop. I know my mom would like to get her hair cut. She's had short hair all of her adult life that I can remember, so having hair start to really grow out feels strange. I've gone back and forth from short to long to in-between, so once the bangs grow out about a half inch more, I'll be fine.

It may be time to tackle a drawer or two. Speaking of which, I misspoke yesterday when I said I'd done three drawers. I did do three drawers, but I also went through and organized a kitchen shelf holding first aid supplies. There are two drawers that need attention in the master bathroom. If I can get past my book that's lying on the table, I should get at least one of those done.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

It's the beginning of the week so here it's shopping time which means thinking up a menu plan first. Then it's my shopping, mum's shopping and MIL's shopping. I'm sure the powers that be would like me to make one trip but that's because they've never tried keeping three sets of groceries separate from shelf to conveyor to bag using one trolley. I'm fine with mine and notmine but trying to remember who I bouught the sliced chicken for is just too much so for my own well being I go shopping twice.

The other highlights of the week ahead are cutting my son's hair and... well that might be it actually. Welcome to my exciting life.