Monday, November 9, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 239

The in-house computer problems have, I hope, been resolved. That doesn't mean I could figure out how to do what I wanted to do with my quilt guild's website, though. There really should be a Weebly for Dummies book out there. I am not paying $50 for the closest thing I could find. The Help FAQ yielded nothing, so I now await an email response from the help folks. When that might arrive is anyone's best guess.

Virginia's covid-19 case numbers continue to rise, with the seven-day rolling average number of cases hitting a new high of 1,437. These are the highest the Virginia numbers have ever been, and they're showing no sign of slowing down. Dr. Fauci says if most or all folks would wear masks, the number of cases could be brought down without an economic lockdown. How many more people have to die before the powers that be try this, or must we just sit and wait until January 20? 

We may have a second covid-19 superspreader White House event in the works. HUD Secretary, Ben Carson, MD, has tested positive for covid-19 along with another person who was, like Carson, in a crowd of people at the White House on election night. It's not clear that anyone there was wearing a mask. Will these people never understand how little it takes to be safe?

I have heard that Uncle Joe does not want to be sworn in while wearing a mask. I figure Dr. Biden (I guess if he is Uncle Joe, she should be Aunt Jill) can be up close and personal holding the Bible, while the Chief Justice handling the swearing-in can be a safe distance away. What I don't know is what the plan, if there is one, might be for the inauguration ceremony crowds, parade, and parties. If there is no parade, Uncle Joe could get sworn in then go back to the White House to get right to work on the various executive orders he has planned to start undoing what The Foolius has done. I do not expect that The Foolius and First Lady will welcome Uncle Joe and Aunt Jill to the White House and then go with them to the ceremony as has been done for the last I don't know how many inaugurations. I can't see The Foolius doing a 180-degree turn and being polite for once.

The Orange Foolius is not conceding quickly. On that front, I saw a meme of Obama asking The Foolius how his concession speech was coming along and noting that he (Obama) had never had to give one. The head of the General Services Administration has to sign off on funds and space for the transition team of the president-elect, and Trump's appointee to that position is refusing to do so because it's not clear that Uncle Joe won. It's not clear if she's waiting for the Electoral College to vote or for Congress to formally accept that vote. They're not going to make this easy for Uncle Joe.

The Professor's covid-19 test was negative, resulting in a huge exhalation of relief. It seems that my mom is still in isolation. The facility admin said that just to be safe, they're keeping residents who test positive isolated for 20 days rather than the 14 that the CDC and state health department recommend. I can't say I blame them. Three residents there have now died. They keep saying that they do not know if the deaths were related to the people's having covid-19. I say that in people of a certain age, covid-19 can get you in any number of ways by contributing to preexisting conditions. I can't say for sure if "old age" counts as a preexisting condition, but it probably should.

I'm feeling a lack of levity lately. I'll have to see what I can do about that.


No comments: