Friday, June 24, 2022

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 330 (830)

Gonna be brief today. The morning's news making the demise of Roe v. Wade more certain than a leaked draft had sent me to therapeutic sewing, which left me with just the few notes I took before the news broke. I expect more therapeutic sewing will be needed in the days to come. Now on to the coronavirus...

I came across a list of long covid symptoms or outcomes in children, even infants. For infants and up to three years of age, conditions cited included mood swings, rashes, and stomach aches. For children ages four through 11, add memory and concentration problems to the mix. Finally, for early teens, we have memory and concentration problems, mood swings, and fatigue. Don't get me wrong, but aren't those last three typical of almost all young teenagers? 

The CDC signed off on the Moderna vaccine for children ages six through 17 years. Nice to have options. At the same time, though, the CDC director dismissed the importance of counting rapid covid tests in the case stats saying, "You don't need to count the rain drops to know how hard it's raining." In other words, we don't need to know how hard it's raining to make informed decisions about footwear, outerwear, or the need for umbrellas. 

In the first year in which they were available, covid vaccines cut the global death toll by 20 million. If the WHO goal of vaccinating 40 percent of each country's population by the end of 2021 had been met, some 600,000 more deaths could have been prevented.

Finally, WHO is deciding whether to declare monkeypox a global emergency. The fact that such a decision was not considered until monkeypox reached richer countries is upsetting some people.

I, meanwhile, will remain upset about today's Supreme Court ruling. I could not find the pair of coat hanger earrings I once had, but I did put on my "The best decision I've ever made was marrying a Canadian" t-shirt.  

No comments: