Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The View from the Hermitage, Day 437

According to WHO, global covid cases dropped 14 percent last week, with the largest decreases happening in Europe. Overall case numbers and deaths are still high, though. We are by no means out of the woods yet, but hopefully we are now on the path. There are even two new studies out that suggest covid immunity may last a year or even a lifetime. They suggest that most people who were infected and later vaccinated may not need boosters.

Was that an optimistic comment I just made? I don't know. I did learn, however, how optimistic different groups are with respect to reopening. Specifically, men are more optimistic than women, parents are more optimistic than people without children, and the rich are more optimistic than the poor. The biggest dividing line on economic optimism is access to health care and health insurance. I have to admit that the fact that parents are more optimistic than people without children seems a wee bit counterintuitive to me. Perhaps it is wishful thinking that reopening will put children back in school, back at after-school or sports sessions, and give parents a bit of a break. As for men being more optimistic than women, 14 percent of mothers who stopped looking for work during the pandemic said that they did no to look after their family. A comparable percent for men? That would be three.

With only 58 days until the Opening Ceremonies, scientists warn that "canceling the games may be the safest option." Japan remains in a state of emergency with some 70,000 active cases and a mere five percent of the population vaccinated. The IOC does have a plan; unfortunately, it relies on unsuccessful mitigation measures such as temperature checks and contact tracing apps. Not to mention that: (1) No safety guidance has been given in terms of the risks associated with outdoor and indoor activities. (2) Athletes and support personnel have to bring their own masks. (3) Little detail has been provided on testing frequency and hotel isolation as well as limited contact tracing. (4) Athletes contracting covid will have limited insurance coverage. 

One of the major Japanese newspapers is also calling for Olympic cancellation, warning that the Games are a threat to public health and will place additional strain on the country's health service. This paper is one of several Japanese media organizations listed as official Tokyo 2020 sponsors who have called for the Games to be cancelled. Additionally, a prominent economist warns that the economic loss from cancellation would be small compared to the cost of the emergency measures needed if the Games turn out to be super-spreader events. 

POTUS is calling for a new or continued investigation into the origins of the coronavirus, and he would like the report ready in 90 days. I can't imagine that the Chinese will be especially cooperative, which means we will likely never know with any degree of certainty just how the spread started. I can see the value in knowing, though, in terms of avoiding or lessening the chances of another such pandemic. Were it to be determined with a reasonable degree of certainty that the virus was released deliberately or accidentally from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, what would the next step be? A slap on the knuckles and advisement not to let it happen again? Or would we simply use the knowledge to help guard against future viral releases?

I broke down over the weekend and ordered drapes for the dining room. They arrived today, and I think the color is just right. I still need to get the sort of rod that is needed, but I'm optimistic these will work. Don't ask how many other windows need new drapes or curtains. I don't need any more reminders than I get every time I see the unmatched colors of the old window coverings that we put up to serve as insulation through the winter.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

My curtains have been up for thirty years, we moved here in May 1991 and they are the curtains I made then. The north facing ones are still good but the south facing ones are past their best. I don't want the effort of making them but don't want to pay good money to have someone else do what I'm quite capable of doing for myself. In 1991 the main fabric was over £300 (three blinds, one floor to ceiling set, a wide window and a small window) but I think I've had my money's worth. I bought ready made for my bedroom (south facing, also thirty years old with cheap fabric from the market as they were supposed to be temporary) and every time I touch them I think that I could have made a better job myself.