Monday, March 15, 2021

The View from the Hermitage, Day 365

Have you seen the spring break photos from the South Florida beaches? Not a mask in sight, and social distance measured in inches rather than feet. The imperviousness of youth! I seem to recall having it somewhere in the distant past before marriage and children, when it felt as if it were just me and the world looking out for each other. One student this year was quoted as saying, "We're not in the high risk group." I wonder what his mother would have to say about that. I know what I would say to one of my sons were they to pull that crap. I can't say that I don't understand their frustration with how the past year has disrupted the college experience they wanted a year ago and still want today. I just want to yell at them to think about the other people to whom they could transmit the virus when they return home or to school. Think!

During the past week, new covid-19 cases nationwide have averaged about 50,000 daily. Drs. Fauci and Walensky (CDC Director) say that's not a good number to be at. It's high enough to leave us vulnerable to a new surge. They'd be more comfortable with 10,000 new cases daily, and say that's the point at which restrictions could start being lifted. I guess the next month will tell us what we need to know about the mask mandates and occupancy restrictions being lifted now.

Sadly,  covid-19 has taken the life of the last living man of the Juma tribe in the Brazilian Amazon. In 1964, there were six Juma people left. In 1999, the other remaining male died. The last living man passed on February 17. He was the last fluent speaker of the tribe's language, and all the tribe's traditions and rituals died with him. His daughters married members of another tribe and replaced their Juma language and traditions with those of their husband's tribe.

While I am ecstatic about having a vaccination appointment, not everyone would be. One quarter of the members of the House of Representatives have refused to get vaccinated, have not reported getting vaccinated, or are avoiding vaccination for medical reasons. The medical reasons one I can handle; the others give me problems. According to the results of another poll, the following portions of each group say that they will not choose to be vaccinated: 49% of Republican men, 41% of all Republicans, 6% of all Democrats, 25% of Black respondents, 28% of White respondents, and 37% of Latino respondents. That's a lot of people who will still be wide open to contracting the virus. 

I loved the news that Yo-Yo Ma spent the 15 minutes of wait time after his second vaccination playing the cello. Evidently a hush fell over the large room when he started to play. I'd have been surprised had one not. I smile just thinking of how the music probably washed over people, comforting some who were understandably nervous, reassuring others that they were doing needed work, providing a meditation mantra for those so inclined. I don't anticipate such an occurrence at my own vaccination, but I can imagine what it might have been like. 

Problems persist with the AstraZeneca vaccine and its possible link to blood clots. AstraZeneca notes that no causal link has been found between the vaccine and its recipients who suffered clots afterwards. Countries that have suspended its use include Italy, Norway, Denmark. Iceland, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, and Indonesia. This doesn't send a very encouraging message to those countries still using it and those people still receiving it. AstraZeneca vaccine has not yet been approved for use here in the US. Not having read any reports of what the results of the various stage trials were, I'm not really sure what to think here other than that we have three vaccines in which we have confidence, and can probably get by without a fourth. That said, whether there is a causal link needs to be established since there are countries for which this might be the easiest vaccine to obtain and use.

The Grammies were last night, and here I can declare myself a loser in the game of life as far as current music goes. Big winners included Beyonce, Megan Thee Stallion, Billie Eilish, and H.E.R. I could not tell you one thing about the music of any of those four artists or groups, nor would I recognize any of their music were it to start playing right now and drown out the sound of the dishwasher. I'm good with Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift, or are they considered maximally mainstream? Back when I drove places, a year ago before our pandemic present came about, the radio in my car was tuned to an oldies station or NPR. What can I say? I feel old.

2 comments:

Caroline M said...

It's still too cold here to consider removing clothes on a beach, you'd need a hat and scarf and to keep moving before you froze.

Janet said...

I lost interest in "popular music" in the 70s, about the time disco came along. Music of some of the 80s bands is okay (Journey, Yes, Kansas, Supertramp, even some of Aerosmith), but I do not enjoy any heavy metal/grunge/punk or hiphop.

Much of today's music would be more palatable if 1) you could understand what they were singing, 2) it were less repetitive tonally, and 3) it had some melody.