Friday, March 12, 2021

The View from the Hermitage, Day 362

So I don't forget to mention it, the blog's going black tomorrow. The Professor and I are going to Son #2's cabin so that he and Son #1 can run 50 miles around the property. They were registered to do a 50-miler tomorrow, the one that was their last ultra, pre-pandemic. They were worried about the safety factors and are doing it virtually. When they're done, they'll submit their times, and their shirts and other swag will be mailed to them. The Professor is in dire need of a day away from the internet and cell service. If he doesn't relax a bit, I may have to kill him. Not really, but he is in desperate need of some down time. We'll be leaving at 4:30 am for the 90-minute drive. The Sons will start running around 6:30 and hope to finish in 12 hours about the time it will be getting dark. By the time we get back here, bed will be calling all too loudly.

Note to others: Never click the box at the top of the file list and delete them all in one fell swoop. Had I done that to my gmail Promotions files this morning, I would have missed the email that my name came up in the vaccination list, and here's what I needed to do to register. Had I been awake last night when the message was set, I possibly could have gotten a shot today. Alas, it will be next Thursday morning for the Pfizer vaccine which means a second shot three weeks later followed by waiting two weeks for everything to have started working. I am not touching my list of appointments to make until those two weeks have passed. Anyway, In about six weeks, I'll be able to rejoin the world should I want to.

The March pie is in progress. The peanut butter filling is chilling in the refrigerator, awaiting the chocolate ganache. (That's a pretty cool word, if you ask me.)

We'll be taking it with us tomorrow, since food like this will be called for after a 50-mile run. We're only halfway through March, so I may even get energetic and make another of some sort. 

POTUS gave a little talk last night. He wants every state to have covid vaccines available to all as of May 1. I have no idea if that is doable. I think the registration and scheduling system they're using here might get overloaded, though there is only one more priority group to do here. If they get that group don by sometime in April, they should be doing the general population by May. The key then will be getting enough doses at the right times. 

Of course, the supply issues here pale in comparison to those in poorer countries. Developed countries have relatively easy access to vaccines, while developing ones may be left on their own. The UN Secretary-General says that there are many examples of vaccine nationalism and vaccine hoarding by wealthier countries. He then noted something we developed countries should remember: "The global vaccination campaign represents the greatest moral test of our times." I really hope we get  a passing grade better than a C. 

POTUS also said he hoped we might start to return to normalcy by July 4. By that he meant that small groups of friends or family might be able to celebrate together outdoors. Fireworks, anyone? I think July 4 may be too soon. Enough people have to have been vaccinated so there is not a post-Memorial Day surge or a post-graduation one. The local university has already cancelled graduation as it usually is. If they do a semi-in-person one, it will be for the graduates only, no family or friends. There will atill be parties, though.  

The new wave of cases continues in Europe. Italy is expected to announce closure of schools, restaurants, and shops. They recorded 26,000 new cases yesterday along with 373 deaths. They are in a clear third wave, one higher than the first in spring 2020 but lower than the second at the end of 2020. Will there be enough people vaccinated here to avert another surge? Son #1 and I were discussing vaccine hesitancy this morning. No one I know has expressed any vaccine hesitancy to me, but then my contact with people has been somewhat limits these last 362 days. I worry that there will be enough people declining vaccinations that herd immunity will be just out of reach. 

Of course, I also read that when asked about when the pandemic would end, public health experts say never. The coronavirus will always be part of our environment. If it's another yearly shot, such as the flu shot, I can live with that.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I love the word ganache too; I've never made it myself...is it easy?

I've just passed my 2-weeks after shot #2, so can start making appts (eyeglasses, dentist, haircut). I've done a few others since last fall but have put these off. I'll keep on using masks in buildings that aren't my house.

The fellow who wrote the book about the 1918 pandemic suggests mask use will be vitally important this year.

Caroline M said...

I am hoping that in future years it falls into the flu category. Tens of thousands die from it annually but it doesn't make the news, there's a vaccination programme for the vulnerable but the majority of people don't give it a second thought.

Here in the land of the twelve week gap in vaccination the second shot inches ever closer. MIL is due hers next week, mum in three weeks, me in eight (possibly, it's so far away I haven't started to count down). Between us we've done the dentist and the optician but the hairdresser won't be open until mid May.