Wednesday, December 16, 2020

View from the Hermitage, Day 276

I was so excited and ecstatic from yesterday's scream that I forgot to publish the post. I found the positive feeling lasted through the evening. In pondering it, I think that just screaming to my immediate surroundings would not have had the effect of screaming to nowhere. There's something about knowing that one's scream is becoming a free range scream. And having been to Iceland three times helped me appreciate it even more. 

I think I noted yesterday that I had an ending picked out for that day's post but would not use it post-scream. So I'll use it now. I read yesterday about China spying on the cell conversations of tens of thousands of Americans. I do not understand how anyone could be interested in my cell conversations. Do they really want to hear The Professor stopping at a grocery store on his way home and calling to see if there's anything I want other than what is on the list in his hand? Perhaps they'd like to know every time I call or text Son #1 to tell him what cute thing The Family Dog just did. Granted, The Family Dog is interesting but probably not that interesting. Tens of thousands of Americans. Are there really that many people whose conversations might matter in an intelligence or espionage sense? Every member of Congress, the Cabinet, Supreme Court...that doesn't even bring us to one thousand let alone tens thereof. I guess there is some method in their madness, but still...

The forecast was for snow today, but what started in the morning and is still coming down is sleet, freezing rain, and/or rain. Judging by the view out the window behind me, We're working on a good old-fashioned ice storm. 

They announced last night that schools would be closed today. For those of us who thought virtual school meant no more snow days, we did not consider the big picture. Many if not most teachers are teaching from school buildings. Besides classroom items that might be needed, the Internet connections at schools are vastly superior to many home ones. Instead of the issue being kids on buses, it's teachers in cars.

On the novel coronavirus front, South Korea is considering the national lockdown they did not need for their first covid-19 wave. California is ordering extra body bags. The Netherlands has closed gyms, cinemas, schools, and non-essential shops until January 19. I actually wish they'd close gyms here; I think that would do more good than a midnight to 5:00 am curfew. To be safer here at home, there will not be crowds in New York City's Times Square on New Year's Eve. The crystal ball will still drop, and Gloria Gaynor will still sing "I Will Survive," but those events will be live-streamed. At least people will be able to stay warm while they watch.

If you're interested in the covid-19 White House news, MSNBC has created a very nice explanatory graphic.

I think this is in order of who got what when, but maybe they put Rudy at the bottom of the list on general principle.

Poor Mitch McConnell. The Lame Duck is mad that McConnell acknowledged Uncle Joe as President-Elect. The Duck says the Republican Party needs to learn how to fight. The Duck was probably made even angrier by McConnell's urging Congressional Republicans not to interfere with the January process of certifying Biden's election. I actually respect McConnell a hair more now that The Duck is not pleased with him. McConnell has also stated that Congress will "not (be) leaving here without a COVID package." I may respect McConnell a hair more, but I'll believe that stimulus package when I see it. 

And now, in anticipation of Mother Nature's icy grasp on our power and router, I'm going to publish this. Stay warm and safe wherever you are.


1 comment:

Janet said...

Glad you got to let put your scream(s)! I don't feel the need, but passed it along to those who might.

As for China, I suspect they're mostly targeting government officials, particularly known defense officials and any suspected intelligence officers. And the unsuspecting souls in the NSA and White House, of course.