Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 262

I took photos of my two or three Christmas decorations, but something is acting up on emailing them from phone to laptop. I put a Christmas tablecloth (made by my stepmother) over the table on which we might put a small tree. I also put together a Let It Snow banner Son #1 was given. That's strung along the mantle. I've also started posting Christmas cards along the mantle, which is either the second or third decoration depending on how one counts. 

The governor held another covid-19 briefing today. I did not learn about it until it was nine minutes in, meaning I missed anything about the rising covid-19 numbers. I did find out that it's gonna be quite a long while before I can get vaccinated. Virginia will pretty much follow the schedule recommended by the CDC, meaning that the first two groups to be vaccinated will be health care workers and residents of long-term care facilities. Virginia expects to get 70,000 doses in the first shipment; they estimate that health care workers plus long-term care residents equal about 500,000. And everyone will need a second vaccination three weeks after the first. I should probably start planning the party to mark the 365th day of this blog. 

The Lame Duck is up to his usual no-good. He is contemplating and has asked advisers about preemptive pardons for The Duck Junior, Junior's little brother, The Duck Daughter, and Duck Daughter's Spouse. Preemptive pardons are not often given but they are legal. Gerald Ford included a preemptive pardon for Richard Nixon. Evidently, Rudy Giuliani would like a preemptive pardon as well. Presidential pardons, of course, only apply to federal offenses. They offer no protection against state offenses such as that being investigated by the Manhattan District Attorney's office (every time I write that I hear the theme music from Law & Order).

There is a new investigation into the pardon business the White House is running. There is apparently some evidence that pardons are being sold to the highest bidders, those bids being donations to a political fund that may well help The Lame Duck waddle again in 2014. This is not the first time that pardons are said to have been sold. I think one of the pardons issued by Bill Clinton was said to have been done in return for something. This sounds a bit more involved than that one was. Sad to say, it did not surprise me at all that pardon purchasing might be going on, not at all.

I wonder if Rudy Giuliani might pay for a pardon with whatever money The Lame Duck's campaign is paying him to file election fraud lawsuits. He supposedly asked for $20,000 per day, which would have made him one of the highest paid lawyers in the world. It's not clear that is what he is being paid, but his pace in filing suit after suit may indicate a desire to stretch things out as far as he can. At least that's what I'd do if I were being paid that much--or even less--each day.

I am being informed by The Family Dog that if I am not going to give her her evening kibble early, the least I can do is sit on the couch and scratch her. She can be quite persuasive.

No comments: