Friday, December 4, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 264

The Professor and I are sharing the house but separately. There is no way around sharing the air, though, so we wear masks inside at all times except when eating or drinking. If I'm going to wear a mask all day, it has to be one that does not fog up my glasses with every exhalation. The solution is a bit intimidating, but it works great.

Pay no attention to the wet, stringy hair. I'd just washed it. Not really realizing that it would still hang down and get in my eyes, I had not put on a headband. I did that after taking this photo. Fortunately, there's no one around to see that state of my hair whenever I take the mask off to ingest sustenance. I will not wear the mask while sleeping. The master bedroom is on the second floor and is where I'm sleeping. The Professor is sleeping in the guest room which is in the basement. I think there's enough air between us especially given that the door to the basement will be closed. 

The Professor's test kit will arrive tomorrow. He'll do the test on Monday. If it's negative, he'll need to continue the quarantining. If the test is positive, I pack as quickly as I can and move to Son #1's house or Son #2's cabin. The house here in town would be preferable, but I would just need not to be in the house with The Professor. 

It's tiring, mentally, to manage staying apart, coordinating schedules so that I'm outside when he moseys from his upstairs office to the downstairs guest room, or be in the master bedroom while he picks up his dinner from the kitchen. I'm sure that a portion of the fatigue is rooted in worry over the what if hanging over our heads.

All the numbers--local, state, national, not sure about world--seem are headed in the wrong direction. What concerns me most right now is the the seven-day rolling average of the percent of those tested who test positive is 9.5 percent. Way back when (or so it seems) when reopening the lockdown was first proposed, nothing could happen until that percent positivity was under 10 percent for two weeks. What does it say that it's on its way back up to 10 percent? And we need to stay tuned, because the post-Thanksgiving surges could easily start this weekend. Will those keep people from traveling at Christmas? Not bloody likely.

Away with numbers and serious stuff! The two Christmas decor photos I could not put up yesterday made it to the laptop today. Here's my two Christmas touches so far.


Also of note is that I finished re-making the wreath I did several years ago of doll heads and body parts. I also made a new wreath with doll heads as holly berries. The local quilt guild has a "show and tell" page on which members can post things they are working on or have finished. I put up the two photos below, and only one person has clicked for any response. I think they've always wondered about me, and this may have them wondering even more. Here are the wreaths in question.

I'd have liked to have formatted them a bit better, but that was vexing me, and I'm tired. So here they are, up close (to each other) and personal, not centered nicely as the decor photos above are. 

It's funny to be missing someone who is just upstairs.

 








No comments: