Tuesday, December 8, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 268

The last time The Professor took a covid-19 test, he got the results via email the day after he sent it in, via UPS Overnight. It went in the same way this time, but no word yet. It did go to a lab in California, so there is the three-hour time difference to consider. I'm more than a little nervous. I keep imagining the worst--he has it and has passed it to me. A couple of days ago, I came across a quote from Stephen King about hoping for the best only if you're prepared for the worst. Maybe that's the game my mind is playing. The Professor is in his office proctoring his final exam, and I can't really say whether he would come down and tell me the results were he to get them before the exam ends in 50 minutes. We may make a good couple because as I've been imagining the worst, he's all about the best. No temperature, pulse-ox a-okay, feelin' just fine. I'm thinking what I should throw into a bag to take to Son #1's house, remember to tell The Professor to sign the stack of Christmas cards I have on the desk, but wait to mail them until the Christmas stamps I ordered have arrived. 

Continuing with covid-19 means continuing in an upward direction. Nationally, we're over 15 million confirmed cases, and more than 284,000 people have died. The number of new cases in Virginia each day is staying above 3,500, and the seven-day rolling average is on the way up with a pit stop at 3,238. The percent positivity is 10.9, in kissing distance of 11.0. The governor has said that he is considering what mitigation measures might be added or strengthened and an announcement may be coming this week. Closer to home, the number of cases is hitting new highs in the regional health district in which I live. And covid-19 admissions to the local university's medical center are rising as well. I can think of a whole lot of other things I'd rather see rising, but then I don't run things around this planet. 

The Lame Duck pardoned Michael Flynn recently. The judge today dismissed all the charges but in the ruling noted that 

                                                pardoned ≠ innocent

I hope that thought is noted when The Duck preemptively pardons The Ducklings and maybe Rudy G. Rudy, meanwhile, is supposedly suffering "minor symptoms" of covid-19, though no description of what those mild symptoms are was provided. The only figures I could find for odds that The Duck will pardon himself were somewhat dated, so I'm not going to discuss them. I go back and forth myself about what he might do. He at one point tweeted that why should he pardon himself when he has done no wrong. I wonder if he would view pardoning himself as admitting he did. I also wonder if he would view resigning and getting President Pence to pardon him as "better."

I got back to some unpacking and putting away today, clearing out two boxes of random things from the master bedroom closet and master bath. Some got thrown away, a couple of things went into the donation box, and the other things found a new home. It felt good to be somewhat productive. Tomorrow I may attack some boxes in the basement or just assemble or mark all the various donation boxes. There are some on each level of the house. I just need to remember not to try to lift them, since I'm pretty sure that's what set off my six weeks of lower back pain. I still have pain if I twist wrong or pick up a heavy something, but otherwise, it feels fine.

Still no word on The Professor's test. He assures me I will be the second person to know. Fingers crossed and trying not to assume the worst.


2 comments:

Janet said...

We made a donation box after we moved and put in there things we decided we actually wouldn't use, but have yet to actually take it somewhere. It's largely housewares at this point, though I could come up with some clothing too that has not been worn since we moved. Just need to decide where to take it, and when's a good time to do so.

Caroline M said...

He was masked, more than 2m away. Here he wouldn't be traced, he wouldn't be formally told that there had been a contact because he wouldn't be judged to be at risk.

I have a box in the porch for things that need to find a new home but it's been a funny year and the charity shops have been closing for months at a time since March. I'm just sticking it in a pile to deal with "later" which echoes Janet in finding a good time to take it.