Saturday, October 29, 2022

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 457 (957)

Six of the seven people working early voting's afternoon shift yesterday wore masks. No one commented that we did not need to wear masks around them. In response to that comment on Wednesday, I actually said nothing; I just got the couple the forms they needed to complete. I figured saying nothing said it all. I could have explained that given the number of people with whom I could potentially be face-to-face, I felt better with a mask on, but that would have been giving their comment some validity. As for the number of people with whom I could have been face-to-face, we had over 300 people vote in the afternoon on our way to 563 people voting all day.

Son #1 said he wasn't sure where he'd saved the reference, but there is a theory on covid's origins that combines the Wuhan lab and wet market. What if someone who worked at the lab sold an animal--dead or alive--that had been used in research there to a market vendor. Interesting theory and one I would not discount.

A covid outbreak in Zhengzhou, China has shut down the largest iPhone manufacturing plant; it produces about half of Apple's global supply. Some factory workers are in lockdown, and shops and hotels near the factory are closed. Last year, almost one-third of the $192 billion in iPhone sales was in the upcoming holiday season, making the timing of the outbreak not at all good. Apple has moved some of production to India, but it's not clear if they'll have enough iPhones to meet holiday demand.

And that's about it on the covid front, at least from me. The other items I found were retreads of info I've already posted or so technical that I wasn't going to give a Saturday to trying to make sense of it.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I see people with masks on every day. Haven't seen anybody question or harass them. Maybe we are becoming like the rest of the world - wear a mask if you want to. So civilized!

cbott said...

That's what I noticed immediately when the mask mandate was lifted--the mood in the airline terminals (I was doing a lot of flying back and forth then) was no longer confrontational. While I still silently judge those who choose to share their germs with their inside environs, it's less fraught and more "You do you, boo [idiot]."

Bird 'Pie