Sunday, February 28, 2021

The View from the Hermitage, Day 350

Two weeks to go to the one-year mark! Champagne may be in order then. We do have a bottle left over from the election and impeachment. I'm getting more confident daily that I will not be hitting the two-year mark, though I have been wrong about various things as I've stumbled through the pandemic. I do hope I'm not wrong on this one. 

I read a report this morning that generated a huge "Du-uh." (The two syllables are intentional.) People are less likely to adhere to lockdown rules after they have been vaccinated. Given how many don't adhere to such rules before they are vaccinated, is it really surprising that another sizable group of people don't after a vaccination? I plan to wait at least the suggested two weeks after the final dose (or only if I happen to get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) and then give careful thought to anything I change about the way I've been living the past now 50 weeks. I have a couple of close friends who have already gotten both shots, and I could see having a still somewhat distanced coffee or lunch with them one by one.

Nine percent of Americans have been fully vaccinated, which seems to me to be a very good start. In 2019, the WHO ranked vaccine hesitancy as one of the leading global health threats. I'm not counting on herd immunity until we get there, if we do. Unfortunately, I can see all too well a large enough number of people not getting vaccinated to perhaps get us to the edge of herd immunity but not over the top.

Looking for a book for The Professor, I came across something I had actually forgotten I had. We lived in the Netherlands from August 1989 to August 1990, while The Professor was one sabbatical at a nuclear physics lab in Amsterdam. I found the journal in which I jotted down quotes I found, wrote the odd quote of my own, and taped various articles I'd found, most of which came from The International Herald Tribune. The volume is dated 1990, and the quotes and articles are, for the most part, dated 1990. There are some dated 1989, though I obviously had saved those when they first appeared. My comment on January 4, 1990, seems oddly pertinent to being on day 350 of this pandemic blog:

It's not hard to write something every day if your standards are low enough.

Time to fix Mongolian beef, something I would not have made were it not for the pandemic.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Enjoy your Mongolian beef. We'll have steak sandwiches tonight...since we moved back to PA and the source of *the* best sandwich rolls (Amoroso), we've been making our own steak sandwiches. Yum!

Now that we have have our second shots, in a couple of weeks we'll see what we're more open to. But I still see us wearing masks at least until the hot weather returns around strangers, or as required. And taking more trios to NJ to see the kiddos. I might go get my hair trimmed, too.

Caroline M said...

Everything is shut here but I see lots of visitors to houses, children and grandchildren visiting grandparents. It is supposed to be a lockdown but this time around you wouldn't be able to tell. I'm not losing much sleep over it, the vulnerable have been vaccinated and at some point we will need to pick up our lives again. I would like to sit down with a menu in my hand and I'd like a holiday - neither of these depend on me being vaccinated.

Caroline M said...

I wanted to remember 2020 for something other than the pandemic, it is the year I started canning. It was pandemic related because the freezer has been chock full since February and there was no room for fruit.