Saturday, February 20, 2021

The View from the Hermitage, Day 342

Son #1 informed me that the picture below and the accompanying story should be the headline item in today's blog post. Because I've been busy accomplishing things all day today, it will actually be the only thing in today's blog post. 

When Son #1 and I took The Family Dog (shown above) on her post-breakfast walk, she decided to get a little hunting in. We were on our way back from the road to which we usually walk her when something in a bush beside the road caught her attention. She sniffed and pounced and sniffed and pounced again. Eventually, a rather large mouse or perhaps a small rat scurried out and tried to cross the road. The Family Dog gave chase, caught it right as it reached the other side of the road, and quickly dispatched it with a chomp to its spine. She then sat and looked at us somewhat proudly. She was a wee bit protective of the body for a few minutes but eventually let us pick it up and carry it home for a photo op. It is now in the freezer in the garage awaiting the day when I get one or both of The Sons here to do a taxidermy session with me. I have a book that gives instructions for taxidermying a mouse. Son #2 gave me all the tools I need for my birthday or Mother's Day and said he and Son #1 would do it with me using the frozen rats he gets for his snakes.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Well done, L! Good luck with the taxidermy, L's mom.

Caroline M said...

That is one proud dog. My own mighty hunter never caught anything bigger than a spider but he enjoyed the chase.

Will she search the same bush every day now?