Tuesday, February 16, 2021

The View from the Hermitage, Day 338

I won't be writing a long post today. I just spent too much time setting up an account in the local university's fitness program, doing the health assessment, and making an appointment to talk to a fitness person. The account and assessment got me $110, and the fitness chat will get me another $25. Once I figure out how to report it, I can get $25 for the flue shot I had in September. I don't recall just how many years I've done this, but I've earned the maximum $500 every year. Although I've retired from working at the local university, I can do the fitness program as the spouse of an employee.

England has put in a quarantine program for people entering from countries deemed high-risk for covid-19. Yesterday I found the list; I'd been wondering if the US made the list. I was a bit surprised to see that we did not despite how bad our numbers were for quite a while. Most of the countries seemed to be form South American or Africa. Given that the quarantine will set  you back almost $2,000, I'd do what a friend suggested and go from the high-risk country to a low-risk one and then enter from that one. I wonder if they have a reporting mechanism in place to guard against that.

The weather continues to wreak havoc here. Dallas, Texas should not be seeing temperatures in single-digit Fahrenheit. The houses there are not equipped for such weather. We've escaped so far, though the forecast for tomorrow night through Friday contains words such as "five inches of snow" and "quarter inch of ice." We may be equipped to handle those, but it by no means means we want to. Thanks to the pandemic, though, I have no need to drive anywhere. 

Here's hoping things are warmer down south tomorrow.


No comments: