Saturday, January 16, 2021

The View from the Hermitage, Day 307

I've had better days. I heard from my brother this morning that his wife's just-discovered cancer is at such an advanced level it's not clear if the side effects of chemo are worth it in terms of the quality or length of life it might give her. I responded to his email noting that I wasn't sure there were words for this situation. 2021 was supposed to be better than 2020, but last year's suck is continuing smoothly into the new year. An insurrection at the Capitol. Sister-in-law's cancer. The very real threat of violence tomorrow into the Inauguration on Wednesday. 2021's first two weeks and two days leave a hell of a lot to be desired. 

On the coronavirus in Virginia front, the numbers from yesterday elicited a gasping, "Holy shit!" when I checked them this morning. The number of new cases yesterday was the highest yet, and by almost a thousand. They need to change the y-axis on their chart. I fully expect yesterday's number of 6,757 to be exceeded this coming week; 7,000+ is coming. The question is if this is the New Year's bump or the second generation of Christmas bump. I hope the governor and his minions are paying attention to this, but now that we have vaccines.... Actually, I would expect them to be thinking about insurrection violence right now rather than covid.

The Professor and I have registered with our local health district to be notified when they are ready to start vaccinating the group we're in, the 1B folks. There was nothing on the registration form about whether I need to take any proof of my underlying condition(s); I imagine they will tell me before I show up whether I should bring something. 

One in three residents of Los Angeles County, California has been infected with covid-19. Not a place I would want to be living right now. The national death toll is over 389,000; I expect we'll go over half a million in February. Globally, the death toll now exceeds 2 million. We're at the top of the list in terms of how much each country contributes to the total. Yes, America has been made great again. We're followed by Brazil, India, Mexico, and the UK. 

The Lame Duck will now depart the White House on the morning of January 20. He would like a military sendoff. The Professor expressed hope that the aim of a military sendoff was not to spark a massive demonstration that offered an excuse for declaring a national state of emergency that required martial law to put down. The My Pillow founder was at the White House yesterday. A Washington Post photographer got a photo showing the papers he was carrying. Magical magnification revealed that they did cover the imposition of martial law. Any other year I would likely tell The Professor that he was overreacting, but not this year, or should I say "decade"?

Last night's sweet potato soup from the Instant Pot was delicious. Son #1 had the leftovers this morning and requested the recipe. I'll definitely make it again. I'll also make it using other vegetables which was actually the draw of the recipe. The recipe calls for "2 pounds vegetable or combination of vegetables of your choice." A lemon meringue pie is in the refrigerator. I'll do the meringue right before we want to partake of it. I've made lemon meringue pie before, but this recipe, from the book Pie Academy, was simpler. I expect I would use this recipe again, though I won't know for sure until we've sampled it.

I gave my lower back a bit more rest than planned, but today I went for a walk without the dog. This means I can walk faster and with no pauses for smell or bodily functions. I only went 1.5 miles and I did it slowly, but it felt good. I'm not going to rush my way up to the six or seven I was doing every day before the back issues started, but I am going to try to walk some most days now. There's a lemon meringue pie in the refrigerator for incentive.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I am coddling my back after shovelling too much snow. It wasn't the snow that did for it but the ice. It's heavy stuff ice. It rained, now the snow is gone but I'm left with my back.

My favourite meal is not a soup but you could make it into one. It's sweet potato and chickpea, coconut milk and spinach with ginger and the usual suspects for curry. I could eat it every night.

Our cases are falling again, I think we have seen the peak for New Year.