Tuesday, March 29, 2022

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 244 (744)

The first coronavirus article on which my eyes alighted this morning was a discussion of post-covid psychosis. As if I weren't nervous enough already about what covid might do to a person. Psychosis? Yep. People who recover from covid are more likely to be diagnosed with depression or anxiety following recovery and are more susceptible to sleep problems and substance abuse. That actually makes a lot of sense to me. However, some people suddenly develop symptoms such as hallucinations or violent delusions. The causes of covid-related psychosis are not at all clear; there is, though, increasing evidence that the roots of the psychosis are biological and not situational. It might be due to inflammation or blood clots in the brain, and very preliminary research suggests that the virus itself may directly enter the brain. Psychosis can be caused by infections; herpes simplex is one example. The evidence that covid can directly affect brain cells is, so far, very weak. Covid-related psychosis certainly merits more study given that most cases are in people with no previous mental health issues. In some cases, the psychosis seems to resolve without treatment. There are no signs it can lead to a more permanent mental health condition such as schizophrenia.

The FDA has approved a second booster. Next up is consideration by the CDC that is expected to result in the "permissive recommendation" mentioned yesterday. I am thinking about whether I should get one. I had my original booster in mid-October, over five months ago. I am also 65 and have multiple risk factors. I have seen no current discussion of the possibility that getting too much vaccine can result in its being less effective. Related to this was a list I found of four strategies for minimizing covid's toll in the coming months. First up was boosters, and not just the second one. The vaccination rate for the first booster has been way too low. Second was to publicize better the drug Evusheld that may offer months of additional protection to people who are immunocompromised. Third was another drug, Paxlovid, the anti-viral treatment option from Pfizer. The recommendation was that someone in a high-risk group who got infected should look into Paxlovid without delay. Finally, masks. They are not required in many places any longer, but are still helpful in the right settings at the right times. And anyone personally anxious about covid, for whatever reason, can keep wearing a mask. Just because they are no longer required does not mean they are now prohibited. 

I am right now planning to attend and volunteer at my quilt guild's show the weekend after the coming one wearing a mask. I may be the only one there wearing one, which may make me look especially dorky. Easing into late middle age, I am trying to differentiate better between looking and feeling dorky or any other way. I am hoping that I can look dorky without feeling dorky. In a science fiction rendering, I could end up being the last person in the world to contract a dreaded plague, but then that might make all the plague sufferers want to hurt me. 

Some quickies. The US is currently reporting under 800 covid deaths per day, the lowest daily average since before Omicron in the fall. 

The police in London have levied 20 fines on people for attending social gatherings at 10 Downing Street in violation of covid lockdown restrictions. So far, the prime minister has not been fined. 

The budget proposal POTUS just put forward could increase the budget of the FDA by almost 34 percent. The aim is to be better prepared for another pandemic. 

Multiple businesses are making permanent cuts in business travel. One reason is to better foster collaboration and team building. Another is to reduce the company's carbon footprint. 

2 comments:

cbott said...

"I may be the only one there wearing one, which may make me look especially dorky."

Consider this: there may be thousands of people thinking the same thing, but too "scared" to go against the assumed tide. You're making it okay for others to do the right thing, because they can see they won't be alone.

Me? I assume the attitude my sister voiced perfectly: "Fuck 'em. I'll never see these people again." and wear my mask with impunity.

Janet said...

I'm with you, cbott. I was the only one wearing one when I picked up my Starbucks drink today. Of course I'm only in there for a few minutes after I mobile-order it, but I don't care what they think.