Monday, March 28, 2022

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 243 (743)

Not much today thanks to a three-hour lunch with my oldest Charlottesville friend (both in terms of the length of our friendship and her time on this earth) on which we barely touched the surface of the things we could have expounded on.

The FDA is expected to approve second booster shots for people over the age of 50 at a meeting next week. After that, the CDC will likely issue a "permissive recommendation." That means that while they will not officially recommend people over the age of 50 get second boosters, they will note that second boosters are available for people who want them. 

China's largest city, Shanghai, population 26 million, is about to undergo phased lockdown. The eastern half of the city will be locked down until Friday, during which time they hope to test everyone living there. The western side of the city will be locked down from Friday through Tuesday, again for testing purposes. Previous lockdowns have been open-ended; this one has end dates as well as start ones. 

No more free covid tests here in the US sad to say. One from Quest Diagnostics will now run $125; some other labs will be charging up to $195.

Finally, add the Israeli prime minister to the list of world leaders who have or have had covid. 

Not as much on the agenda for tomorrow, so if there's covid news out there, I'll find some to add here.

3 comments:

cbott said...

A report from Texas, hot off the press: "Even though I have two co-morbidities, cancer and diabetes, they [the local grocery/pharmacy chain] wouldn't give me the booster...because I am not currently taking any drugs for treatment. Apparently, my immune system is FINE is (sic) I do not have any chemicals in it. Matters not that I am a senior citizen and obese apparently. Just have to wait until next week when it is available to anyone over 50. Also, they do not know how much time has to pass since the first booster, so still working that out."

So maybe the CDC should say that the second boosters are available as long as you don't want them?

Bird 'Pie (quoting an email from DH tonight)

Janet said...

@Bird 'Pie: That's disgusting but not surprising about Texas. (:>

Caroline M said...

Tests are how much? Our free ones finish next week and I'm hoping by the time I reach the end of the ones I have I'll not need to produce one to visit my mother in law. I'd happily pay to not see her except that doesn't seem to be an option. Excuse me while I potter off to order another pack while they are still free.